Board index Talking T Gauge Forum 3D Printing for T Gauge

Here's the place for discussions about those 3D creations for Tguage...and lets not forget the trials and tribulations of designing and printing.

Re: UK outline stock

Postby mattd10 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:48 pm

I hit a stumbling block and I'm an idiot for not seeing it coming...T gauge design 101! So on scaling down I ended up with a few walls below the minimum thickness and a few other details as well, so I've spent almost as long as the original designing time fixing these problems so shapeways will accept it. Completely forgot that every detail has to be slightly oversized to print.

I'll be designing my next bits in 1:45 scale so I know what will be able to print and what won't at a quick glance (3mm walls, 1mm details) while still retaining some flexibility with sketchup (yet another thing that annoys me....sketchup not working as well at these small sizes!)

class 313 complete.png
class 313
(56.81 KiB) Downloaded 9 times

Here's an image of it as-is. Should be as good as done. I'm going to re-upload it and see what it comes back with this time! The colour scheme is just to make it more interesting (based loosely on greater anglia) but hints that I will also have this as a 4 car option to model a class 315 too!
mattd10

Postby mattd10 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:00 pm

(I'm also hoping to get this all finished soon as well as make some changes to my other models so I can take advantage of the free postage!)
mattd10

Postby JBModels » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:40 pm

Hi mattd10,

The Class 313 looks lovely. I see that you've even hollowed out the windows. Are you planning on actually adding windows or something. I've not done that on any model. But I will have a bit of etched parts.

Cheers!
JBModels
LOL! Some people need a to think logically, or rather just have common sense!
JBModels

Postby dkightley » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:33 pm

I'm sure it must be a trick of the light, Matt, but your units look all nice and bulgy on one side....and all flat and lifeless on the other! ;) ;)

Must have taken ages to get the angle right to get that screenshot!
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Postby mattd10 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:38 pm

dkightley wrote:I'm sure it must be a trick of the light, Matt, but your units look all nice and bulgy on one side....and all flat and lifeless on the other! ;) ;)

Must have taken ages to get the angle right to get that screenshot!

:lol: :lol: :lol: Just noticed it looks that way! Looks like I've been a lazy so and so and just done half!

JBModels wrote:The Class 313 looks lovely. I see that you've even hollowed out the windows. Are you planning on actually adding windows or something. I've not done that on any model. But I will have a bit of etched parts.

For the older UK multiple units I'm intending on having hollow windows and then glazing with either a thin sheet of clear plastic or maybe using PVA glue (or maybe by the proper glazing stuff) to glaze. Any newer multiple units (soon to be in my shapeways shop again) are completely flush and the windows will all be on decals, purely down to the design of them.

I've had a rather busy evening and have finalised the class 313 as well as making minor changes to my class 220, 450, 444 and 360 units. I'm going to have a look at a few others and then call it a night. My plan is to combine as many as I can into one file and print it as a batch to avoid the majority of the costings involved with shapeways. I may pick up a few other T bits as well while the delivery is free!
mattd10

Postby mattd10 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:29 pm

Order placed! So I have a class 313, 220, 158, 450, 444 and two container wagons on their way! I stuck with ultra detail as the price difference for extreme detail was a bit ridiculous. I'll just go at them with some wet and dry paper.
Next step is to design the full side decals so they are ready when they arrive. I already have some stock so they will become my test vehicles!
mattd10

Postby JBModels » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:22 pm

Great news Mattd10...looking forward to it!
JBModels

Postby JBModels » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:00 pm

Just uploaded to Shapeways to see if it passes the final tests....
Attachments
Class 90.jpg
Class 90.jpg (28.21 KiB) Viewed 3962 times
JBModels

Postby mattd10 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:17 pm

Well, I finally picked up my parcel and got a first look at the stock! I'm very happy with the 313 and the first print I have of the 158 too! I have once again though fallen into the T gauge trap and made some details too small. Most noticeable is my container wagon designed to hide a power unit. The gaps and ridges are so small that they're barely visible and I'm thinking that a layer of paint will just clog them up. But we shall see! I'll give them a wash and a coat of primer when I can and see how they come out. I still never got round to decals though, so thats now high on my list!
Pics to follow! :D
mattd10

Postby JBModels » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:46 am

mattd10 wrote:Well, I finally picked up my parcel and got a first look at the stock! I'm very happy with the 313 and the first print I have of the 158 too! I have once again though fallen into the T gauge trap and made some details too small. Most noticeable is my container wagon designed to hide a power unit. The gaps and ridges are so small that they're barely visible and I'm thinking that a layer of paint will just clog them up. But we shall see! I'll give them a wash and a coat of primer when I can and see how they come out. I still never got round to decals though, so thats now high on my list!
Pics to follow! :D

Great, can't wait to see some stuff!
JBModels

Previous

Return to 3D Printing for T Gauge