Board index Talking T Gauge Forum 3D Printing for T Gauge

Here's the place for discussions about those 3D creations for Tguage...and lets not forget the trials and tribulations of designing and printing.

UK outline stock

Postby mattd10 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:15 am

It's been a little while since I did anything modelling based and with a move coming up, that will remain the case for physical modelling. This is, however, a perfect opportunity to have another look at what 3D models I have and what's half finished and try and get some more done!

As it stands I have test prints for a class 90, 165, 220, 350/450 and 444. All need a few minor tweaks and the EMU's need artwork drawn up for decals to get them to a stage I'm happy with. I also have a fully drawn class 158 but am yet to order a print.

My "in progress" folder is a bit of a mixed bag. There's a class 86, 313/315, 325, Eurostar, Javelin and Pendolino :shock: Some are in a better state than others, but all are workable.

What I'd really like is to focus more on freight. I have a large bogey tank wagon drawn up (very generic) which can accommodate either a motorised or non motorised chassis and I would like to do the same with a hopper wagon, container wagons and the high sided wagons (for scrap and the like). This way realistic consists can be modelled with hidden power units helping out.

As you can probably tell I have no particular layout ideas in mind. When I do get around to it, it will probably be as generic as possible so I can run whatever I like on it which means I can just draw up whatever takes my fancy! This thread is mostly a way to document my progress on this and I'll try and upload some screenshots of how it's going.
mattd10

Re: UK outline stock

Postby henningz » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:32 am

Your ideas about freight wagons accommodating motorised chassis are sounding good, and i'd like a pendolino :)
I'm going to follow this thread...
printed on 100 percent recycled electrons
henningz

Location: Barsinghausen (It's near Hanover), Lower Saxony, Germany

Postby mattd10 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:55 pm

Just so you can picture what I mean....

Tank wagon outside.png
(31.65 KiB) Downloaded 13 times

Tank wagon inside.png
(43.4 KiB) Downloaded 13 times

As I'm sure lots of you know, sketchup doesn't take kindly to curves, but I'm going to try and smooth them out some more to get a better look to it.
mattd10

Postby dkightley » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:14 pm

As I'm sure lots of you know, sketchup doesn't take kindly to curves, but I'm going to try and smooth them out some more to get a better look to it.

To help you decide if you do actually need to go any further with your curves, here's the nose of my Baby Deltic:
Image1.jpg
Image1.jpg (44.52 KiB) Viewed 3296 times

Personally, I think what you have now will be okay.
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Postby mattd10 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:43 pm

Thanks Doug. I always get a tad carried away and forget just how small these things are! It's looking like I may have to start from scratch as I've found a few walls with 0 thinkness which are rather important :oops: Should give me a chance to get a basic framework drawn up that I can then work around, making future models/variations easier.

I was thinking of designing it to print in full colour sandstone to make things a bit easier (as spoorobjecten did back in the day with his Dutch T gauge stuff) but the minimum wall thicknesses are 2mm so it's a bit of a non-starter. There is a full colour plastic in development so I may keep those tolerances in mind when designing (0.7mm walls is a bit more sensible!)
mattd10

Postby ivanf » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:39 pm

I tried the new detail full colour and was more than a little dissapointed... model was banana shaped, colours were mudy and the detail printing just didn't happen.

They gave me a refund and I haven't tried again.

It may have improved but I wouldn't do too much before you try a print.
ivanf

Postby mattd10 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:48 pm

Well I somehow managed to get sidetracked...driving down by the south coast I spotted a Southern class 313 and decided a nice coastal line for these to operate loosely based on Seaford would be nice in T! A bit of artistic license will be used, but for now the layout is just an idea.

Here's how far I've gotten so far. It's drawn up in full size from drawings I have, I just need to add cab doors and windows and then it'll be resized to T. Unfortunately they aren't very tall units as they were originally designed to fit London Underground infrastructure so I may need to steal a millimetre or two when I scale it down :lol:

class 313.png
Class 313
(28.46 KiB) Downloaded 12 times

Once finished I'm going to custom design decals that will fit perfectly (I hope) to finish it all off. I know you can get overlays from eletra for this class, but I want the shape to be right, even if I'm the only one who notices!

I'm hoping to get the design stuff all finished by the weekend, then I'll order a test (as well as some other bits to make the postage more bearable) and then start the graphic design!
mattd10

Postby JBModels » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:59 pm

Hi,

Lovely work there mattd10. I myself have a small list of British stock I want to design. I've been after some more prototypical and accurate British stock. So here is a list of stuff that I am going to design in the coming months.

- Class 08 (non-powered)
- Class 20 (non-powered)
- Class 31
- Class 37
- HST power cars
- Class 50
- Class 58 (non-powered)
- Class 59
- Class 60
- Class 67
- Class 86
- Class 87
- Class 89
- Class 90
- Mk3 coaches

I know some exist and some are being done by others, but I am just having a go at trying to make T gauge models that will be as detailed as 3D printing will allow.

Cheers!
JBModels

PS: To increase the accuracy I may just make all locos as non-powered models and have a Mk3 coach or any freight wagon designed as a powered one.
LOL! Some people need a to think logically, or rather just have common sense!
JBModels

Postby mattd10 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:59 pm

These are a great selection of units and I wish you luck with them. Having them all unpowered with screw on bogies or similar will give good accuracy, but on this scale I find that a few mm here and there doesn't notice too much.
mattd10

Postby JBModels » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:28 pm

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the well wishes. Indeed I have gone for the non powered variants for the accuracy because my views are actually just the opposite of yours. Well you can correct me if I am wrong (so feel free to do so) but my understanding is that a few mm in T 1:450 scale is actually rather alot than compared to a few mm in HO or OO scale. So hence why I want full accuracy in the locos because most of them are short and not fully apt for the 18m chassis. The wheel base on a 16m chassis is very unrealistic. So that affect the full underframe them. The chassis are perfect for coaching. Therefore a Mk3 coach of a large hopper wagon like the DRAX ones will be better.

Cheers!
JBModels.
LOL! Some people need a to think logically, or rather just have common sense!
JBModels

Next

Return to 3D Printing for T Gauge