Board index Talking T Gauge Forum 3D Printing for T Gauge

Here's the place for discussions about those 3D creations for Tguage...and lets not forget the trials and tribulations of designing and printing.

Frosted Extreme Detail??

Postby mattd10 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:26 pm

Just read online that shapeways are looking to introduce this new level of detail to their printing service!

I don't think the extra resolution is necessary (all of the details I've had printed to the limits are barely visible!) but it will hopefully reduce the rough edges of some prints!

Will it be worth the extra cost? Time will tell I suppose!
mattd10

Re: Frosted Extreme Detail??

Postby ConnorL » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:41 am

Do they allow thinner wall? (Less than 0.3mm thick) Or do they allow finer details? (Smaller than 0.1mm)
ConnorL

Postby NeilM » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:42 am

I am watching this with interest to see exactly what differences there are with FUD (and how much more expensive it may be!).

The original mail that I received stated that the new material would be released on 15th April. I had assumed that meant that it would be available to order from that date, but judging from the lack of updates on the web site it looks like that will be the date when we are told the characteristics of the material and what its limits/detail size etc actually are.
Neil

T gauge items in my Shapeways shop http://www.shapeways.com/shops/t450
NeilM

Postby dkightley » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:43 am

Since its a while since I either uploaded or ordered anything from Shapeways, I seem to have dropped off their email list for non-shop related subjects....so this is the first I've heard of this.

To be truthful, I'm sceptical as to the likely strength of this new "material" as its probably an upgrade of their printers as opposed to a new raw material. The existing FUD is too brittle to be a useful material for structual items such as rolling stock chassis, however its fine for decorative items such as loco shells and scenery items. This "new" materila will probably inherit the FUD properties.....including the design constraints. I do hope I'm proven wrong, though!
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Postby mattd10 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:56 am

I only spotted it when browsing the web on various other forums. Here is a link to the announcement on their own forum:

http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=26598&start=0&

I think this is great for smaller details on larger models, but I think if we were to create T gauge models with a wall thickness close to this new limit it would be far too brittle and would just break under the slightest of pressure. All I'm hoping for is a smoother finish so the tedious paint/sand process isn't required!

I've not done any 3D printing/modelling for some time as I can't justify the expense of it so I'd rather see investment to reduce the pricing of current materials (or the postage!!!)
mattd10

Postby NeilM » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:02 am

The details for the new material are now available on the Shapeways site.

The limits for detail are basically the same as the existing Frosted Ultra Detail. The only differences I can see are;

Price is $5.00 + $5.99 per cubic centimetre (FUD is $5.00 + $3.49)
Maximum bounding box reduced to 50x50x200mm (from 284x184x203mm)
Ships in 12 business days (from 6/10 days depending on size)
Neil

T gauge items in my Shapeways shop http://www.shapeways.com/shops/t450
NeilM

Postby mattd10 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:14 am

Nice to know! Hopefully it'll just give a smoother finish! The extra price may not be that noticeable for our smaller models, will definitely be worth trying out!
I've been spurred on to get back into 3D modelling again and have something a bit special in the pipeline!
Watch this space ;)
mattd10

Return to 3D Printing for T Gauge