Board index Talking T Gauge Forum 3D Printing for T Gauge

Here's the place for discussions about those 3D creations for Tguage...and lets not forget the trials and tribulations of designing and printing.

New and quick 3d tech

Postby Towers » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:15 pm

Some sort of new 3d technology involving pools of resin and UV light. Looks like it could make things in T gauge really quickly. Doesn't say what price range this device will be though, which is a shame.
http://www.3ders.org//articles/20150317-carbon3d-introduces-breakthrough-clip-technology-for-layerless-3d-printing.html
Towers

Re: New and quick 3d tech

Postby dkightley » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:52 pm

Don't know about CLIP....but there's a lot of SPIN here!

This is not a new way of creating a solid object....its just the application of a new way and newer photosensitive materials to produce something in the same way as what has previously been developed.

The technique of using ultraviolet light to solidify a liquid polymer was originally developed in the 1980s but was very expensive, very slow, and I think the materials used were not all that safe. The process has been refined by the emergence of newer and more uv sensitive over the years...and this latest announcement is just another step in this process.

I do find their reasoning in their announcement for the process to be called "Continuous Liquid Interface Production" somewhat amusing. They're playing on the fairly common symptom of incorrectly set up FFF processing where a printed part can split along the joint between layers that have not correctly fused together....and that their "new" technique eliminates it. They're partially right....the manufacturing technique they use (the one developed in the 1980s) doesn't have this layer adhesion issue.

And as for this process not being a "layer by layer approach"....yes it is a layer by layer approach. Its just a matter of the way in which you describe it! For instance, on my FFF printer, I could print a small vase that is not made up of x hundred layers, which I could describe as not being a "layer by layer approach".....its made up of a continuous spiral extrusion, no layers involved at all.

The one thing that I do find interesting is the potential to print objects at a much faster rate. The one thing that has stopped 3D printing from catching on as a manufacturing method to replace other methods is it's extremely slow speed. What these guys may have done is triggered the development of high speed 3D printing techniques. But theres nothing about the potential resolution of the process. Why are there no photos of the finished Eiffel Tower?

As for 3D printing for Tgauge.......I'm on the lookout for either higher resolution in the same price printer or cheaper printers of the same resolution rather than higher printing speed.
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Re: New and quick 3d tech

Postby henningz » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:55 pm

Doug is right... The CLIP-process ist only an enhancement of the nearly 30 years known SLA-process. You can buy SLA-3D-printers as diy-kits for a few hundred quid to run with a standard LCD projector (see this topic...)

The difference is: You will achieve a resolution of 0.03 to 0.1 mm with an exposure time of about 2 seconds per layer depending on your projector's lamp and lenses in the SLA-process. The CLIP-process will be faster, but the resolution will be lower, due to the oxygen bubbles scattering the light.
printed on 100 percent recycled electrons
henningz

Location: Barsinghausen (It's near Hanover), Lower Saxony, Germany

Return to 3D Printing for T Gauge