Board index Talking T Gauge Forum 3D Printing for T Gauge

Here's the place for discussions about those 3D creations for Tguage...and lets not forget the trials and tribulations of designing and printing.

A model of a model of Blea Moor

Postby martink » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:24 am

Over the years, many people suggested building an ultra-small scale model of a layout to try out the overall configuration and such. I've always thought that was a great idea, but way, way too much work for the return. However, with a 3d printer, the rules change...

I want to make Blea Moor/Ribblehead as large as possible, while still being able to fit in the car and be set up at home for testing. Determining the number and sizes of the boards to use becomes a lot easier with a mockup.
Since I tend to build my timberwork in inches and feet, I settled on 1mm to 1inch (1:25) as a really convenient scale for a mockup. All the CAD dimensions are simply in mm/inches.

One quick evening's work, and voila...

board-cad1.jpg
board-cad1.jpg (33.37 KiB) Viewed 89 times

DSCI0040.JPG
(178.16 KiB) Not downloaded yet
martink

Re: A model of a model of Blea Moor

Postby dkightley » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:09 pm

It's a very good way of visualising how things will go together....and I've done the same for my new layout:
OctViewB1.JPG
OctViewB1.JPG (56.94 KiB) Viewed 78 times

The only difference is that I've not actually printed mine!
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Return to 3D Printing for T Gauge