Board index Talking T Gauge Forum 3D Printing for T Gauge

Here's the place for discussions about those 3D creations for Tguage...and lets not forget the trials and tribulations of designing and printing.

Measurments Please

Postby UmbraNocti » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:39 am

Hello everyone. First off I have been in hobby trains on and off since I was a child and I recently discovered T Gauge. I do not yet have a set (though I am planning what I will get when I can afford it.) and was wondering if anyone had a 2nd generation motorized carriage that they didn't mind sending me some dimensions to. Before I got too far invested into the gauge I wanted to see if I could make any of my own halfway decent locos with my 3d printer and various other skills. What I would need are the exact dimensions of the base of the carriage as well as what clearances I need to keep inside for the motor/gearing. If I can be picky I would like them for the 16m carraige, though, I will happily work with a larger as this is just trial modeling. I appreciate any help that anyone can give me and I will be posting my progress on this project here.
UmbraNocti

Re: Measurments Please

Postby Nutter » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:45 am

I am sure someone will be along soon to give you the answers you need. Can take a couple of days usually.
Where are you located and what railway/country are you thinking of modelling?
I have a clear plastic shell from the top of a 16m unit but have mislaid my vernier so can't give you accurate measurements.
Mike based on the Southern side of London

All spray painting done outside, cleaning in ultrasonic done on dry days when i can have a window open.
Nutter

Postby martink » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:11 pm

I copied the pic from tgauge.com, and scrawled in some extra measurements. The springs and metal strips along the top and one end can vary a bit, so the figures given should be worst-case.

If you are looking at doing body shells, think about adding some sort of clip underneath on one side to hold the body onto the chassis. It doesn't need to be much.

16m-chassis.jpg
16m-chassis.jpg (112.12 KiB) Viewed 163 times
martink

Postby UmbraNocti » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:20 am

Thanks a bunch and I'll keep the clip in mind. As for what I was planning on modeling... Well I'm not 100% sure. It kind depends on what I can successfully print at that size, though, at the moment I was thinking of making an Appalachian logging line from around the turn if the century. I thought a Shay would be a good steamer for this (ATM) limited gauge.
UmbraNocti

Return to 3D Printing for T Gauge