Board index Talking T Gauge Forum 3D Printing for T Gauge

Here's the place for discussions about those 3D creations for Tguage...and lets not forget the trials and tribulations of designing and printing.

printed points?

Postby ivanf » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:52 pm

I've had another small victory! A while back I was talking to some z-gauge people who where criticising t-gauge for it's lack of points. Although it does have points they aren't very good. So I dusted of an old project and had another go...

point.JPG
point.JPG (64.38 KiB) Viewed 2398 times

designed in Templot with a few guesses at numbers to use for clearances and printed at shapeways - the plan is... take some flex track and strip off most of the sleepers... super glue to base... then the tricky bit, take a couple of shorter lengths of rail file down the ends to make the frog then using 3mm brass strip add the blades and checkrails and you get.... this....

point - Copy.JPG
point - Copy.JPG (89.28 KiB) Viewed 2398 times

And surprisingly it doesn't completely fail to work!!!! I thought there was something seriously wrong as the test loco kept stopping at the frog... then I twigged that there was no power at the other end of the frog! Duh!.... But so far I've succesfully pushed 2 mk1 coaches through the point without them falling off the tracks or going the wrong way. Surprisingly the check rails actual do something. Without them the first bogie would go the right way but the second bogie wouldn't but with the check rails in place it seems to keep the bogie going the right way. Is that what they're for? :)

As ever a couple of tweaks needed - the switch bar has a couple of grooves in that take the ends of the blade but it's a bit tight in the gap so it's tricky to change directions. It's also too short.... If I make a hole through the base it will be possible to file the joggles into the rails which will give a smoother ride at that end of the points. And possibly adding power to the blades might improve things although my multimeter says they're getting 4.6 volts .

If you take one of the little flex joiners and chop it in two then stick one bit into the end of some sectional track you can join flex to normal track and I managed to get the point at the right height to work with sectional track. The whole thing needs to be that thick so make the base where the slidy bar thing goes back and forth strong enough - and I'm using 3mm brass for the blades so the whole unit ends up quite thick. I also worked out too late that you need to leave about 10mm of rail sticking out the end to allow the flex track connectors enough room to work, which is why the through road is not lined up terribly well and tends to launch coaches into the air.

If your careful removing the sleepers from the flex you can reattach short lengths to hold the frog rails in place while gluing. I managed to assemble it using only side cutters a file some pliers and tweezers... might print a couple of jigs to make filing the frog easier. I was planning to add dobs of thick superglue in place of chairs which kinda worked but I think a finer application would be better and probably a good dose of thin superglue to help hold them in place wouldn't hurt.

If anyone is interested in having a go with the next version of these, let me know.
ivanf

Re: printed points?

Postby hhearle » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:10 pm

THAT is awesome! Just what we need. :P

I'm looking forward to seeing you tackle double slips.... :mrgreen:

Maybe I'm getting carried away here but I'm surprised nobody has tackled motorised points yet...
Wolfie
Henry Hearle
Student Environmental Health Officer / Environmental Law Consultant
hhearle

Postby ivanf » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:12 pm

I thought so... it's the thing that stopped me building a layout when I first started messing with T.

Double slips might take a while! :)

Need to wire up me frog first. :)

Have vague notions of wire in tube control, a chum has expressed interest in using that.... but if that works they should be motorisable... although it'd need to be a long layout to need them... maybe a big bridge layout...
ivanf

Postby hhearle » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:50 pm

ivanf wrote:Double slips might take a while!

Haha, give it time! :lol:

WIT control is probably the most reliable method in my opinion, although I have experimented with using magnets and solenoids in other scales. But I think the advantage of WIT is, you can wire it up to a neat looking control panel with levels and all the gear and it does give a more realistic method of operation... just scaled down a lot! :)

ivanf wrote:although it'd need to be a long layout to need them... maybe a big bridge layout...

I see you've caught the bug from Doug... look forward to seeing what you conjure up!
Wolfie
Henry Hearle
Student Environmental Health Officer / Environmental Law Consultant
hhearle

Return to 3D Printing for T Gauge