Board index Talking T Gauge Forum 3D Printing for T Gauge

Here's the place for discussions about those 3D creations for Tguage...and lets not forget the trials and tribulations of designing and printing.

3D modeling tool

Postby kajovog » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:35 am

What modeling tools do you guys use? I have mostly used SketchUp for 3D printing but you sometime have issues working with very small "resolutions" in SketchUp, like making circles. I was using AutoCad many suns back and I was thinking that maybe I should take that up again. I looked at Blender...... but I just took a deep breath and did this post instead :)
kajovog

Re: 3D modeling tool

Postby NeilM » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:03 am

I have only ever used SketchUp, as I thought it better to stick with one and really learn it rather than try to master numerous packages.

As you say, SketchUp does have minimum sizes, but there are tricks you can use. My models were all create at 1000x, and then using a documented trick with (if my memeory servers me correctly, it has been some time...) components you can work on the 1000x version thus avoiding the minumum size, but the 1:1 component is maintained at the size you need.
Neil

T gauge items in my Shapeways shop http://www.shapeways.com/shops/t450
NeilM

Postby dkightley » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:40 am

I have used 3D Crafter (formerly 3d Canvas) from www.amabilis.com for longer than I will admit to!!

I started using it when I was producing models, etc for Microsoft Train Simulator as it has a built-in exporter that created the correct files for the sim. As I knew the software, I've never looked at any other package basically because I've been used to the package for so long, it feels comfortable!

3D Crafter does have its foibles, though. It's Boolean logic is not that good and the package slows down dramatically as the poly count gets very high....but I'm happy to live with things.

3DC has a free version that gives you a range of basic tools...and then there's a Pro version that costs $40, which you'll need to export stl format files for 3D printing.
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Postby kajovog » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:52 pm

I have used the trick before working at 10x the scale (in my case Z-scale) and just "scale it down" once I am done, but most of the time for Z scale I can model it in the correct scale. I checked out 3D crafter, will test that as well. I prefer to use my mac though but it would be good to be able to not think about minimum sizes. But as NielM points out it is probably better to stick to what I know.
kajovog

Postby gbtrains » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:48 pm

HI
I use Lightwave 11.5 from Newtek. :D

Regards
Graham
gbtrains

Postby JohnathaN » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:09 am

Out of curiosity, I'm having a big of problem with white discoloration after removing from the stands. Does any one have tips on refine the print? I'm seeing people using small butane torch or heat gun to refine it. Any thought?
JohnathaN

Postby dkightley » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:41 am

Jonathan

What printer are you using...and what material are you printing in??

I don't recall having read anywhere about anyone suffering with getting discolouration of the plastic after printing. And the drastic use of a blowtorch.....I've only heard of that as a wild idea to get rid of layer lines on plastics such as ABS...which would be suicide for parts printed for T gauge!
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Postby PetrOs » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:15 pm

I am using 3DS Max 2019 currently. I also have 3 hired designers working for me, but I have to say that I never asked what they use - as long as they deliver what I want ;)

For slicer for my home 3D Prints, I use CURA 3
PetrOs

Return to 3D Printing for T Gauge