•   
  • Talking T Gauge Shop
    Your online shop for T gauge locomotives, rolling stock and scenery items. Buy for your layout...and support the forum at the same time!

Board index Talking T Gauge Forum T Gauge Modelling Tips, Tricks & Tutorials

The three Ts. Lift the lid on the secrets of how you do things so others can have a go.....

Installing LED lights in cars

Postby mattinair » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:21 am

I'm posting some photos of an attempt at installing lighting in one of Tgauge.com's Inter City passenger cars....
First I drilled a hole in one of the newer motorized unit bogies so I could screw it on in place of the original non conductive bogie...
DSCN3531_01.JPG
DSCN3531_01.JPG (109.55 KiB) Viewed 534 times

Next I inserted 2 LEDs into a section of translucent plastic tube (2 LEDs>one is lit in one direction the other lit in the other direction)
Also open the notch on the chassis above the bogie>attach the LED wires to the little prongs on the bogie(I just twisted them on and crimped the little prongs with tweezers..seems to work fine)
DSCN3522_01.JPG
DSCN3522_01.JPG (65.83 KiB) Viewed 534 times

Finally I screwed the conductive replacement bogie on and glued the plastic tube to the chassis.........
DSCN3540_01.JPG
DSCN3540_01.JPG (75.17 KiB) Viewed 534 times

Now here's where I had a problem.....
DSCN3556_01.JPG
DSCN3556_01.JPG (101.31 KiB) Viewed 534 times

With the cars clear body shell and non opaque paint the LEDs were just too bright > On the little coach I did I had sprayed the body with an under coat of opaque black primer>Also the shell itself was translucent not clear...
Oh well once I put some black paint on the cars ceiling.......from 3 feet away this one will actually look alright.....
mattinair

Return to T Gauge Modelling Tips, Tricks & Tutorials