Board index Talking T Gauge Forum T Gauge Modelling Tips, Tricks & Tutorials

The three Ts. Lift the lid on the secrets of how you do things so others can have a go.....

Holding small items for painting, etc....

Postby dkightley » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:55 am

I spotted some potentially useful devices yesterday that may help to solve the problems of holding small parts for painting, etc:
P1010435_red.jpg
P1010435_red.jpg (67.06 KiB) Viewed 2422 times

The photo shows a Micro Stix, a plastic stick with a blob of flexible sticky stuff on the end that grips like anything to whatever you press it on to! The blob resembles the adhesive you find holding a credit card to the letter they send it stuck to. The loco shell is firmly stuck....and would be held sufficiently firm enough for painting...even at that wierd angle!

They are re-useable....however I presume the surface of the blob will lose its stickiness, as they come in a pack of 16. I paid less than £5, however they're on Ebay & Amazon from £10 a pack upwards.
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Re: Holding small items for painting, etc....

Postby ivanf » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:12 pm

good idea doug.. my current solution is sticking a lump of folded card in the bottom which isn't ideal.

slightly diverging from the point of your post... what colour did you use for the bottom lighter green of the loco in your picture... I keep meaning to do my class 24 in the same scheme but got stuck on the colours...
ivanf

Postby dkightley » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:52 pm

When I was wanting to get the colours for the two-tone green, I was able to compare the paint colours with a Bachman loco.(Shop manager is a fellow volunteer at Crich. :D )

The main body colour I used was Humbrol Satin 195, and the stripe was Humbrol Matt 80.
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Postby ivanf » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:07 pm

thanks Doug - one less excuse for not getting that done... :)
ivanf

Return to T Gauge Modelling Tips, Tricks & Tutorials