Board index Talking T Gauge Forum T Gauge Modelling Tips, Tricks & Tutorials

The three Ts. Lift the lid on the secrets of how you do things so others can have a go.....

Re: Points - the achilles heel

Postby dkightley » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:55 pm

At the GCR show yesterday, I was shown a trial T gauge custom point that had been created by a member of the Nottingham Model Railway Society as an exercise in trackwork:
Img_2041_red.jpg
Img_2041_red.jpg (95.48 KiB) Viewed 2266 times

The switch changes the electical connections to the various areas of the pointwork...and changes the points!

I'll make sure there are updates if there's any progress.
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Postby mattinair » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:47 pm

Wow!.....Given that there are dummies like me who would be willing to pay hundreds of dollars (pounds etc.) for this....Always hopeful....
mattinair

Postby Reith01 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:05 pm

A beautiful piece of trackwork.....and an absolute dread that I may have to do some work down the line. I'm having trouble with Eishindo points but then I'm a beginner, have a bit of investigation to do. A succession of points to provide sidings isn't a nice prospect!
Reith01

Postby Nutter » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:48 pm

Isolating the diverging tracks on points for passing loops and siding can be accomplished by simply removing the plate underneath and taking the springs out.
OK you then have to work out the wiring for the inner two rails but it saves cutting the rail and buying the isolating tracks if using the set track pieces.
Mike
DON'T knock it at least I am trying to do something, with only one good hand.
Nutter

Postby Reith01 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:01 pm

That's a great idea! Wow, thanks. That solves the problem of isolating in a stroke! I've soldered leads to every piece of flexitrack so far so powering isn't a problem.
Some automation will come later and I didn't want to have to drill holes through the base once the scenic work starts. I'm not yet sure how many sections the thing will be divided into so I can adapt the wiring accordingly.

Cheers,
Reith.
Reith01

Previous

Return to T Gauge Modelling Tips, Tricks & Tutorials