Board index Talking T Gauge Forum T Gauge Modelling Tips, Tricks & Tutorials

The three Ts. Lift the lid on the secrets of how you do things so others can have a go.....

Re: Motor Replacement for T Gauge Inter City 125 Power Car

Postby grahame » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:39 pm

After a few misfires I managed to get all four springs in place. Many thanks to Alan Ramsay at Tgauge.com for sending me a pack of spare springs. I needed at least one. After several attempts they can get stretched and deformed. All 3 motorised units (front, rear and buffet) running well now in both directions. I found a combination of Doug's method and sliding the second spring eyelet off the tip of a needle on to the hook worked the best.It IS tricky but the last one was a lot easier than the first one :).One at a time...I did the drive bogie first...

My advice to any one doing this for the first time. Be sure to buy a pack of spare springs along with the motor. That will be the best 2.50 GBP you ever spent and you will sleep a lot easier the night before :).
British exPat in Houston, Texas.
grahame

Postby dkightley » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:54 pm

Glad you got it sorted. :)

Tricky blighters, those springs!!

And I'm glad you've now got all three units running okay now. Don't spend too long playing, though! You might get into trouble with "'er indoors"! ;)
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Postby grahame » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:21 pm

I wonder if some type of design change might be possible, where the spring is actually attached/welded to the bogie hook..that way you would only need to attach one end...to the bus bar.
grahame

Postby grahame » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:42 pm

For those people who have not seen these tiny gold springs here is a photo. On the right is a normal sized paper clip, not one of the big ones..to give an idea of the scale :)

They have two functions:

a) Hold the bogies into the chassis.
b) Provide electrical conductivity from the wheels to the bus bars and hence the motor.

There are 4 of this little blighters to install too :)

I would love to watch the assembly line for these, they must have a special tool to do this.
grahame

Previous

Return to T Gauge Modelling Tips, Tricks & Tutorials