Board index Talking T Gauge Forum T Gauge Modelling Tips, Tricks & Tutorials

The three Ts. Lift the lid on the secrets of how you do things so others can have a go.....

Sticking track down

Postby apepper » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:52 pm

I'm getting close to sticking the track down on my layout; I've seen double sided tape being sold for fixing track, is that "normal" double sided sellotape?
apepper

Re: Sticking track down

Postby dkightley » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:19 pm

Double-sided sellotape will only adhere properly if both surfaces are absolutely flat and parallel...or are able to be compliant with each other.

You will get much better results if you use carpet tape which has a thickness to it that will comply with the surfaces much better.

You will need to ensure the surface you're sticking to is totally clear of any loose dust, etc, otherwise the tape will stick to the dust...and not the surface!
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Postby apepper » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:50 pm

Great advice thanks. I'll see what I can find.
-Andrew
apepper

Postby gbtrains » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:13 pm

Hi there
Yes I will also be using the Carpet tape method as track to this size will not move once in place but may cause damage if you raise back up if too sudden.

ps Also I am using 1mm roll out cork for the flexi track as if joining to fix set track it will be level and you do not need the ramps which are sold from T Gauge.com Site. :lol:
Regards
Graham
gbtrains

Postby Patnewbie » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:40 am

dkightley wrote:Double-sided sellotape will only adhere properly if both surfaces are absolutely flat and parallel...or are able to be compliant with each other.

You will get much better results if you use carpet tape which has a thickness to it that will comply with the surfaces much better.

You will need to ensure the surface you're sticking to is totally clear of any loose dust, etc, otherwise the tape will stick to the dust...and not the surface!

Thanks for tip on using carpet tape for fixing instead of the double sided from the site especially as my track is laid on cork will give it a try ....
Patnewbie

Return to T Gauge Modelling Tips, Tricks & Tutorials