•   
  • Talking T Gauge Shop
    Your online shop for T gauge locomotives, rolling stock and scenery items. Buy for your layout...and support the forum at the same time!

Board index Talking T Gauge Forum T Gauge Custom Rolling Stock

Post details of your rolling stock developments - locomotive, carriages, DMUs, etc.

Re: SD70M - Powered

Postby dkightley » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:40 pm

This is looking very good, Connor!! :) The end product is going to be superb.

Keep up the good work! And do report progress as it happens. ;)
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Postby Jmyrick » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:57 am

I'm SO looking forward to these! :D Keep it up!
Jmyrick

Postby ConnorL » Wed May 14, 2014 12:56 am

Hello all,

Humm...I ran into a small problem. My primary computer died, and all my work is on it. (I know that you can extract the harddrive and get the files...) However...the software I use...can not be transferred. I will be making a new desktop for me to continue my work and hopefully beg Autodesk if they could transfer it onto my new computer because of this problem.

Currently, my projects are being delayed till June/July.

However, I will be posting pictures of what I had done/tested so far.

Perhaps a "alpha" run test video?

We'll see! :)
ConnorL

Postby ConnorL » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:56 pm

Got my new computer up and running! Even more powerful and faster!

Also tested more brass etching!

My SD70M project box, how many models do you see in this box?

And...finally a alpha video of the very first test run. This is before I made changes to the gears, I'll have to order new prints to see if the movement improved (With less jamming).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNuXvMBs_F0
ConnorL

Postby dkightley » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:56 am

Glad you're back online with your main pc....and I hope you've managed to get it back into a state where you have have all the software and data in place so you can pick things up again.

I had a motherboard failure some months ago....and it took a few weeks to get back into things again. Fortunately, I didn't lose any data or software. My "new" pc ( well.rebuilt!) now has an extra hard drive. I left the previous main drive as it was....and used a brand new drive to build the new os and software base.

btw....Does the price drop at Shapeways that comes into effect on the 7th help with your print costs??
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Postby ConnorL » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:50 am

I had not printed anything over the summer, I can give Shapeways another try this weekend. I remember the cost was $7.50 or something...but it's the shipping that's expensive. $6.50 everytime
ConnorL

Postby ivanf » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:50 pm

dkightley wrote:btw....Does the price drop at Shapeways that comes into effect on the 7th help with your print costs??

good news is the price drop only affects WSF and Steel - FUD not affected.

bad news is the price only drops on some models... out of 50ish models I've got hanging around in WSF price has gone up on 47 of them by between next to nothing to 300%! Some of the cost changes can be worked around by repacking models to fit with the new rules... but they've only given people 7 days notice and as one of their recent changes was to make you set a selling price for a model and they then calculate the model when the new prices come in any unadjusted models will have 0 markup on them.

and their batch upload markup tool was broken.

lots of cross designers...
ivanf

Postby JBModels » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:56 am

ConnorL wrote:Image

As I said with your steam loco, this is just impressive ConnorL. Do you mind if I PM you? I've been in dire need of a CO-CO chassis for a narrow hood diesel. I think with you experience, you'll be the best for advice.

Cheers!
JBModels.
LOL! Some people need a to think logically, or rather just have common sense!
JBModels

Postby ConnorL » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:33 am

Hi everyone, I'm still alive. Just trying to dodge the fearsome college assignments.

Sadly, I did not make any progress so far from the last progress I had done. I took a break, I may still be on break for a few bit longer.

I realized that I'll have to do more research on gears and what the best option out there to use. It's good that I'm currently taking a course in college that covers gears, so I have some understanding now.

So...my gears I originally designed were wrong. The tiny 3.2mm shicoh motor couldn't withstand the torque from the gears I had made in the wheelset.

I will need to make a gearbox for the 3.2mm motor connecting to the shaft that will drive the gears to the wheels. I'll just have to design a micro gearbox that will fit in the body.

The gear ratio may be around 1:3 or 1:4...it depends on how much space I have.

So, just letting you all know that I'm still into T-Gauge! Just taking a break haha!
ConnorL

Postby dkightley » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:26 pm

Ahhh...I remember the good old bad old days when education got in the way of having fun!! :) :)

Once you get that out of the way you'll have work, family, kids and decorating to replace it.......terrible, isn't it!! ;)

Thankfully, I've got past most of them! :lol: And I'm approaching my second childhood. 8-)

Glad you're still in the world of T, Connor, good luck with your assignments and any exams you may have coming up....and see you on the other side.
Doug Kightley
dkightley

PreviousNext

Return to T Gauge Custom Rolling Stock