•   
  • Talking T Gauge Shop
    Your online shop for T gauge locomotives, rolling stock and scenery items. Buy for your layout...and support the forum at the same time!

Board index Talking T Gauge Forum T Gauge Custom Rolling Stock

Post details of your rolling stock developments - locomotive, carriages, DMUs, etc.

Re: Pennsylvania 4-6-2 Steam Locomotive.

Postby NeilM » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:53 am

JoeMalinchak wrote:This brings up the question to everyone, what do you think it is made of?

Joe,

I was wondering on this myself. The only coloured prints I have has done at Shapeways are in Full Colour Sandstone. This material has quite a large minimum wall thickness and detail size, but more significantly the colour resolution always seemed right on the edge for T - I ended up with some cars where the windows just failed to colour as they were to small.

Have you used a different material? Or are you just better at getting fine detail into the colour information on your models?
Neil

T gauge items in my Shapeways shop http://www.shapeways.com/shops/t450
NeilM

Postby ivanf » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:48 am

JoeMalinchak wrote:Hope this helps!

Certainly does, Thanks Joe.

I'm still waiting for parts to arrive, then I'll be able to start measuring and send a print of a chassis off to shapeways... then get back to the waiting...

Then I'll be back with more questions... or probably bleating about glueing it all into a solid lump... I've done a fair amount with tiny etched pieces but never on a model where bits needed to move...

When you say "what's it made of" are you talking about the loco body? It sort of looks printed to me? erm... Is it a paper model?

Ivan
ivanf

Postby mattinair » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:35 am

In the AMA magazine articles I've read Joe uses special types of foam(or plastic?) sheets to make the micro planes he's famous for .....That's my guess...Oh and by the way..Wow oh Wow oh Wow(!!!)... :D
mattinair

Postby JoeMalinchak » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:15 am

Ivan, and mattinair are correct in the fact that the body is printed. I spent many hours working on the graphics, and the design of the body. However, it is not paper as many of you know that paper is hard to work with, and looks a little like paper. Mattinair is correct the body is made out of very thin foam! I used the techniques that I have developed over the years for my model airplane designs. I was not sure if it would work on a TGauge locomotive, but I think it worked well.

The .5mm foam is coated with many coats of a product called inkAid. InkAid is a product that allows any material that is coated with it to be printed on using a standard inkjet printer. I thin the inkAid 70% inkAid to 30% water and airbrush each coat onto the foam. Since this is not an airplane project weight was not a factor, and I gave the foam around 10 coats of inkAid. The more coats the better the print.

The thin foam is flexible and can be rolled into shape. I use UHU Por foam glue on the model as it works great on foam.
Attachments
IMG_7873.JPG
IMG_7873.JPG (199.25 KiB) Viewed 593 times
IMG_7698.JPG
IMG_7698.JPG (116.62 KiB) Viewed 593 times
JoeMalinchak

Postby JoeMalinchak » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:33 am

These are some photos of my planes that are made out of the same material. My corsair has a 6.8 inch wingspan, and my triplane has a 1.5 and wingspan. They both are R/C and fly!

My locomotive looks really small in comparison.
Attachments
IMG_7921.JPG
IMG_7921.JPG (166.51 KiB) Viewed 589 times
IMG_7900.JPG
IMG_7900.JPG (184.87 KiB) Viewed 589 times
JoeMalinchak

Postby ivanf » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:57 pm

Hi Joe,

Oh, I see... I like 3d printed stuff as it misses out the assembly stages and the chances to put things together wrong but then painting is the next problem. Might have to have a rethink... :)

So what's next?

Ivan
ivanf

Postby JoeMalinchak » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:17 am

Ivan,

I think that the model would also look great if was 3D printed. I just like drawing the graphics with all the detail I can achieve with it.

Next, I am going to build another 4-6-2 with a different motor I want to try, and a road name with some vibrant graphics. I am thinking of making one in the Crescent Southern scheme.

Then I would like to experiment with a larger locomotive. Maybe a Daylight, but a would really love to do a Big Boy! sjrashid was working on a body for a 4-8-8-4 Big Boy. I hope he can complete it as I think that a 3D printed version would be much easier than drawing the graphics for a foam version. If someone can design a nicely detailed 3D body, I would design a working chassis for it.
Attachments
mdp87436.jpg
mdp87436.jpg (19.67 KiB) Viewed 521 times
JoeMalinchak

Postby ivanf » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:12 am

Hi Joe,

I'm sure there are several people on the forum who would like to design steam train bodies to fit your chassis. I kmow I would. I've done a few in Z scale that I can probably scale down farily quickly.

I'd like to pursue a chassis design of my own but given I know nothing about designing chassis I might be better following someone who clearly does. :)

So, would you be willing to sell me a set of parts for your chassis? ( Just the bits you cut, rather than a build your own steam train kit. )

The only bit I'm missing now is the gear on the motor shaft? I've found these... http://kkpmo.istore.pl/en_US/c/Micro-Worm-Gear/2242028

But they're all 3mm and yours looks smaller. Where did you get yours from?

Thanks,

Ivan.
ivanf

Postby PetrOs » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:11 pm

Hi,

Slightly smaller worm gears available here http://shop.kkpmo.com/index.php?cat=c63 ... ecken.html

Best
Petr
PetrOs

Postby JoeMalinchak » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:25 pm

Hi Ivan,

I purchased my gears from the site that Siegfried posted. http://shop.kkpmo.com/index.php?cat=c28 ... 4188041672 I used the M0.15 gears. They have a worm gear to match. Wormgear M0.15 1.6mm diameter. Your link looks like the same site, but I cannot find the M0.15 gears!

My current chassis design has 1mm holes for the gears. As I mentioned I used the TGauge.com geared axles, cut off the gears, and slipped the 2.85mm M0.15 gears onto the axle. This was a real pain! I am ordering some new gears with a 1.5mm hole. Hopefully, they will slip over the TGauge.com plain axles. Actually, I am hoping that TGauge.com releases the gears that they will be using to make things easier for a steam chassis design.

I am going to make a few small changes to my design, and resize it for the 1.5mm holes. I may not get to it this month as I make my living as an airline pilot, and I have my recurrent check ride in a few weeks. I normally spend some time preparing as you have to pass or loss your job! This means that I will not be doing much modeling for a few weeks.

Did you purchase your 2.85mm gears with a 1mm hole or a 1.5mm hole?

Send me an e-mail about sending you a set of my chassis parts. I will sell you a copy of my chassis parts, but I will not send out any printed foam parts. I may sell some of my locomotive designs at some point like I do with my planes. I currently, sell some of my model airplanes as RTF's, but I am so busy with work that I am not taking any orders at this time. joemal@echoes.net

Joe.
JoeMalinchak

PreviousNext

Return to T Gauge Custom Rolling Stock