•   
  • Talking T Gauge Shop
    Your online shop for T gauge locomotives, rolling stock and scenery items. Buy for your layout...and support the forum at the same time!

Board index Talking T Gauge Forum T Gauge Custom Rolling Stock

Post details of your rolling stock developments - locomotive, carriages, DMUs, etc.

Union Pacific train

Postby mattinair » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:13 am

I got a diesel loco from Shapeways >figured I'd use Union Pacific colors, but the color on the top of the spray can wasn't right>The color looked like the color on the pen top in the photo :( >still trying to get it right with some water soluble inks....
DSCN3602_01.JPG
DSCN3602_01.JPG (170.6 KiB) Viewed 2065 times

whew, the guys at the paint factory must be color blind :lol:
mattinair

Re: Union Pacific train

Postby gbtrains » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:04 pm

Hi Matt
was this printed out in Frosted detail :?: as all my frosted detail plastics took ages for the paint to dry,did you have same problem :?:

regards
Graham
gbtrains

Postby mattinair » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:05 am

Your Shapeways stuff is great :D ......
I had purchased a can of Testors brand spray paint with a dark golden yellow (Union Pacific) color on it's lid, but when I checked it out back at home the color turned out to be a bright lemon yellow.... :roll:
Yes; watching the paint dry is the most difficult thing to do for me whether it's an art painting or a model toy
Some paint can take weeks to dry... :shock: .....
So it's a good thing that fiddling around trying to shunt these little trains takes so much time... :lol:
mattinair

Postby mattinair » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:54 am

It started raining 3 days ago.....
so I decided to try some more traditional painting methods on my Union Pacific train project....it's going quite well so far, but boy were you guys right about certain paint/plastic combinations taking a long time to dry......Geeeze :roll:
BodegaHead&LagunDSCN3655_014_01.JPG
BodegaHead&LagunDSCN3655_014_01.JPG (97.76 KiB) Viewed 1939 times

After drying more than 24 hours it seemed fairly dry when I first picked it up. But when I had been removing the masks for a few minutes the paint started getting tacky again...I'll give it a few more days before I continue working on it...
mattinair

Postby mattinair » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:14 am

Forging ahead despite having my carefully sprayed paint come off on my fingers...etc. Geeeeze ! etc etc... :roll:
I've noted some recent interesting posts about window color and I look forward to seeing what people come up with....I'm currently mulling over this problem with my passenger cars (note blank windows in photo).....
DSCN4382_01.JPG
DSCN4382_01.JPG (165 KiB) Viewed 1747 times

I would also like to thank everyone for all the info on decals.....this is my first try and I'm really stoked on them; now that I see how well they work..
mattinair

Postby mattinair » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:48 am

I was wondering how I would do the windows on the passenger cars but i decided to do the sides as one single decal...I took a photo of my rather poor paint job..
DSCN4930_01.JPG
DSCN4930_01.JPG (65.94 KiB) Viewed 1507 times

Then I printed out a large image of it and using colored pens, pencils and paint tried to make it look good(well better at least :roll: )
DSCN4933_01.JPG
DSCN4933_01.JPG (89.07 KiB) Viewed 1507 times

Then printed out copies reduced in size to match the passenger cars on the decal paper....
DSCN4935_01.JPG
DSCN4935_01.JPG (38.88 KiB) Viewed 1507 times

I like the results so far but I've still got a lot to learn(figure out) about decals in general......whew
mattinair

Postby msimister » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:01 am

Really like the windows with people and partly lowered blinds. How did you do the people especially?
Cheers,
Malcolm
msimister

Postby mattinair » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:29 am

The windows were done with fairly high quality artist's water color pencils> pale teal blue(windows), gold(shades), dark gray(people)...I kinda based it on some google images I saw of passenger cars...............I still have a lot of experimenting with priming the surfaces the decals go on, color matching...etc. etc
Shortly after photographing the passenger cars I tried seeing what a clear coat would do and it was a disaster ... :shock:
I only managed to sort of save it by painting the inside of the shell with white paint....what a mess :roll:
mattinair

Postby msimister » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:37 pm

Thanks. The carriages look much more like the real thing with people in the windows. I think we're all experimenting with this scale and it's good to know what doesn't work as much as what does.
msimister

Postby mattinair » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:25 am

I decided to scrape the decals & paint off the locomotive shells and start over with full side panel decals using the same technique that I used for the passenger cars....so far so good...sorry about the pencil in the photo(Wife made me)>Pretty sure everyone looking at this post knows how damn small this stuff is (!!!)...
DSCN4964_01_01.JPG
DSCN4964_01_01.JPG (34.55 KiB) Viewed 1439 times
mattinair

Next

Return to T Gauge Custom Rolling Stock