•   
  • Talking T Gauge Shop
    Your online shop for T gauge locomotives, rolling stock and scenery items. Buy for your layout...and support the forum at the same time!

Board index Talking T Gauge Forum T Gauge Custom Rolling Stock

Post details of your rolling stock developments - locomotive, carriages, DMUs, etc.

LED lights for passenger cars

Postby mattinair » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:25 am

I replaced the regular bogie with a bogie from one of the older motorizes units on a passenger car I'm working on
DSCN3490_01.JPG
DSCN3490_01.JPG (137.58 KiB) Viewed 884 times

I hooked up a pico LED to the springs > It work quite well but it was so bright and blue that I put the little LED bulb in a small section of a Ball point pen tube that I had painted yellow.....
DSCN3510_01.JPG
DSCN3510_01.JPG (111.65 KiB) Viewed 884 times

I'm pretty stoked about this > it looks great and is not impossibly difficult.....still needs some work like adding silhouettes etc.....
I found an old photo in the Sonoma County archives of a passenger car full of boy scouts with the "CAMP CAZADERO" placard hanging off the side(white letters dark back ground)...it was black & white, of course, so I'm just guessing on the colors.....
mattinair

Re: LED lights for passenger cars

Postby Kupzinger » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:27 pm

mattinair wrote:
DSCN3510_01.JPG

Hey man, that looks terrific! Very impressive image. Do you plan for more couches?

Cheers
Kupzinger
Kupzinger

Postby mattinair » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:46 am

Yes, I've just ordered several more coaches from CCE Trains on Shapeways .......besides the coaches with LEDs I'm going to motorize one of them < I'm thinking about trying to create the illusion of having a bunch of boy scouts hanging out the open windows waving (who knows, we'll see) ;) ... I'll post some photos of the set ups on the Tips & tricks section here when I actually start working on them .....I'm so obsessive that after I looked at the photo I posted I actually went back and straightened up the little CAMP CAZADERO sign and added a micro dot of green paint to the top of the middle window...Whew :roll: > anyways the whole thing is put away for the time being while I work on some "real" paintings.....
I can't wait to see what you're doing....your cars are metal and as such are completely opaque > perfect for interior lighting (just say'n) :)
mattinair

Postby dkightley » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:25 pm

Hmmmmm....

If anyone fancies taking a look at illuminating some Mk 1s, let me know. I can print in translucent PLA as well as coloured! And mod the parts to accommodate the springs & wiring, etc.
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Return to T Gauge Custom Rolling Stock