•   
  • Talking T Gauge Shop
    Your online shop for T gauge locomotives, rolling stock and scenery items. Buy for your layout...and support the forum at the same time!

Board index Talking T Gauge Forum T Gauge Custom Rolling Stock

Post details of your rolling stock developments - locomotive, carriages, DMUs, etc.

New Here, Need Help

Postby Bobbymo » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:28 pm

I have a 1:400 model airport and I wanted to make a railway with it, and I was brought here. I want to make a custom GE Dash 8 with the B-B wheel configuration.
1. Should I use a 3D program (I don't have a lot of experience with one) or buy an n scale shell model and make a cast and shrink the cast.
2. When made, where do I buy chassis that will fit the shell and the correct wheels.
3. How do you recommend detailing it.

I also plan on making coaches at some point but I want to start with the locomotive.
I searched shape ways and saw other models but sadly no diesels like the dash 8, I also saw a lot of you with 3D experience made the chassis with the shell and the chassis and bought wheels.
HELP ME
Thanks
Bobbymo

Re: New Here, Need Help

Postby Kupzinger » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:40 pm

Dear Bobbymo,

from my experience, a good start is making first rolling stock experiments with paper models. I have shown some in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=367

Depending on the shape of your prototype, this can be easy or complicated. For me, it worked well. It has the gread advantage that the painting isue is solved easily and with high qualtity. However, windows have to be printed as well and are not transparent. There is also the advantage that you can use the drawings afterwords to let these be etched from an etching company.

If you go for 3D printing or etched brass/nickel silver, you will have the design abilities and painting technqiues.

Cheers
Kupzinger
Kupzinger

Re: New Here, Need Help

Postby Kupzinger » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:17 pm

All right, looking at how a dash 8 really looks like, I guess you should go for 3D printing, maybe with etched raillings. The main issue however is the reduced width of the back. The motorized chassis is 5 mm wide. You might have to cheat or change the scale.

Cheers
Kupzinger
Kupzinger

Return to T Gauge Custom Rolling Stock