•   
  • Talking T Gauge Shop
    Your online shop for T gauge locomotives, rolling stock and scenery items. Buy for your layout...and support the forum at the same time!

Board index Talking T Gauge Forum T Gauge Custom Rolling Stock

Post details of your rolling stock developments - locomotive, carriages, DMUs, etc.

Kupzinger's Nickel Silver

Postby Kupzinger » Fri May 13, 2016 8:32 pm

Hi there,

I did some etching via a service provider lately for my N scale rolling stock. There was some small space left, no large enough for N, but plenty for T :)
After having visited my Aunt in England, and passing by Sharingham Station where I had another chance to see some BR Mark I coaches in real life after 5 years, it was clear what should fill up this space.

Some weeks later the nickel silver sheets arrived. And here we are.

Its quite there where I wanted it to be. Now, I have to find a reasonable way of coloring that thing. Do you have any hints for me? I am thinking about testing decals. The maroon version can be maybe produced with an airbrush, then attaching the yellow lines in some clever way afterwards.

If there is interest, I can provide it as do-it-yourself set or even finished model.

Cheers
Kupzinger
Kupzinger

Re: Kupzinger's Nickel Silver

Postby Nutter » Fri May 13, 2016 9:22 pm

Very nice indeed, I found the first job was to clean Nickel Silver models in IPA(Not the beer) and then spray with Halfords Grey Primer,
Recommend removing the bogies before cleaning.
Also to improve paint adhesion if you have one of those Fibre Glass Pen things go over the body - to the naked eye it will look all shiny but will just rough up the surface enough to act as a key for the paint.
Hope that helps.
Was it soldered or glued because any flux needs removing first. I used an Ultrasonic cleaner and 75%IPA 25% distilled water(bought for car batteries)
Mike based in deepest Surrey

Posting most of the time from a mobile phone please excuse typos
Nutter

Postby Kupzinger » Mon May 16, 2016 7:56 pm

Thanks for the hints! I will try this. I will go for gluing. For the car in the picture I soldered the front and back walls and they wouldn't get straight. I found I can work much more precise by gluing.
Cheers
Kupzinger
Kupzinger

Postby Nutter » Mon May 16, 2016 8:52 pm

Please remember don't apply heat/solder to an area that has had superglue on it the fumes are not really user friendly.
Mike based in deepest Surrey

Posting most of the time from a mobile phone please excuse typos
Nutter

Postby Kupzinger » Mon May 16, 2016 9:48 pm

Hi,

yes, indeed. First solder, then glue :)

Here is the second thing I have put on my etching sheet. This will make my Western Highland trains complete.

Well, it is now all up to coloring. Let's see, how this will turn out.

Cheers
Kupzinger
Kupzinger

Postby Kupzinger » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:58 pm

Hi colleagues,

the story goes on. I am experimenting with different coloring techniques, which I will only show when reasonable results are achieved. Besides, I have mounted some more bodies. Also the class 156, which in paper has already done numerous rounds on "the Bridge", has now a sister engine in nickel silver. More to come ... :)

If you are interested in having some of these, please send me a pm.

Cheers
Friederich
Kupzinger

Postby msimister » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:39 pm

They're brilliant Friederich! The only issue with the Class 37s is that there are no 6-wheel bogies available, but they will, hopefully, come in time. Are you going to offer these models commercially?
Cheers,
Malcolm
msimister

Postby Bobbymo » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:21 pm

Hello, in the post that had the picture of the coach along with two pictures of the locomotive, what type of coach is it. Also, are more being made.
Bobbymo

Postby Kupzinger » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:29 pm

msimister wrote:They're brilliant Friederich! The only issue with the Class 37s is that there are no 6-wheel bogies available, but they will, hopefully, come in time. Are you going to offer these models commercially?
Cheers,
Malcolm

Dear Malcolm,

thanks! Well, let's see how they turn out painted. And yes, the boogie usse is also still unsoved. I would not call it "commercially", but I have more etched sets here than I need myseld, and any compensation of the etching costs is welcome :)

Cheers
Kupzinger
Kupzinger

Postby Kupzinger » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:31 pm

Bobbymo wrote:Hello, in the post that had the picture of the coach along with two pictures of the locomotive, what type of coach is it. Also, are more being made.

Dear Bobbymo,

that is one half of a British Railways Class 156 Diesel Multiple Unit. And yes, I am going to make more (see my previous post).

Cheers
Kupzinger
Kupzinger

Next

Return to T Gauge Custom Rolling Stock