•   
  • Talking T Gauge Shop
    Your online shop for T gauge locomotives, rolling stock and scenery items. Buy for your layout...and support the forum at the same time!

Board index Talking T Gauge Forum T Gauge Custom Rolling Stock

Post details of your rolling stock developments - locomotive, carriages, DMUs, etc.

Union Pacific 4-8-8-4

Postby sjrashid » Wed May 04, 2016 3:24 am

Just started work on this yesterday. Still have some more detail to add and have to resolve the front end.

I think the strategy for this one is going to be to hide one set of the motorized chassis wheels behind one of the 8s. Then use a separate bogie on the front that can be articulated. Otherwise you wouldn't have enough clearance at the front of the train to properly locate the chassis.
Attachments
big boy.jpg
big boy.jpg (321.37 KiB) Viewed 1650 times
sjrashid

Re: Union Pacific 4-8-8-4

Postby Kupzinger » Wed May 04, 2016 7:19 am

Wow! Impressing project. Please post images of the progress.
What about using the new stream wheels from tgauge and put the motor in the tender? Diameter too large?
Ok, they have not much in common with the Big Boy's wheels, put at least they would turn :)

Cheers
Kupzinger
Kupzinger

Postby sjrashid » Wed May 04, 2016 5:02 pm

I'm staying clear of the new wheels until I see how they work with the standard chassis. I haven't seen any info on how they connect to the chassis gears, how one gear from the chassis can drive the 4 steam wheels, or any assembly instructions.

Also, I'm not sure how that would handle seeing as it's not truly articulated. It may bind up around turns. Making the wheels part of the shell allows the wheels to slip past the rail slightly and allows me to provide more detail.

It looks interesting, I'm just not convinced yet and I want to make trains that require as little assembly work as possible in order to broaden the availability and the consumer base. If I saw some chassis available online with steam wheels already installed, it would be a different story.
sjrashid

Postby Kupzinger » Wed May 04, 2016 7:34 pm

All right, I see. Yes, your approach definitively reduces assembly efforts and construction risks.

Cheers
Kupzinger
Kupzinger

Postby JoeMalinchak » Thu May 05, 2016 4:49 am

A Big Boy in T! Even if the wheels don't move it will be one of the coolest engines to have in this scale. Like with the J3, you really can't tell that the wheels are not moving from any distance.

Can't wait to see this one!

Joe.
JoeMalinchak

Postby garrett » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:08 pm

That is stunning.
garrett

Return to T Gauge Custom Rolling Stock