•   
  • Talking T Gauge Shop
    Your online shop for T gauge locomotives, rolling stock and scenery items. Buy for your layout...and support the forum at the same time!

Board index Talking T Gauge Forum T Gauge Custom Rolling Stock

Post details of your rolling stock developments - locomotive, carriages, DMUs, etc.

Re: sjrashid's 20th Century Limited J3 Hudson Steam Locomoti

Postby dkightley » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:34 am

As I've always believed, at this scale we're in the realms of giving the impression of detail as opposed to actually achieving detail.

So the important thing is "Does the model give the impression of there being detail??"....and by golly it does!

Is that the Engineer or the Fireman sitting in the left hand side window? ;) ;)

Note: I shall refrain from putting my moderator hat on at present as I believe everyone is sufficiently grown-up to not let this thread get out of hand......
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Postby mattinair » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:16 am

Whew....sorry...I originally posted on this thread because it was started by a hero of mine (cause he also does tiny RC planes)>Joe Malinchak>I can't wait to see what he comes up with for the drive wheel sets from Tgauge.com......one thing he pointed out about this scale is that at normal viewing distances you really can't even tell if the drive wheels are moving or not.......Again, Thanks to everyone>>>I'll try to keep my rants in the General Discussion section>>>It's just when I see companies like Mike's Train House making North American rolling stock in Z gauge I wonder why there's not more commercial interest in Tgauge.....I just love the old Choo Choo trains and will continue to try and make my own "weathered" units until someone manufactures some for sale......Yeah, I often post my "Toy Train Set" stuff hoping other people will post more of their actual layout stuff...
mattinair

Postby dkightley » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:17 pm

Matt. Now I've had chance to have a proper read of your posts on this thread, I'm really amazed at the inventive use of an old pen tube!!! Well done!!

And I think someone needs to give Joe a nudge....he's not logged on for a few months. Who knows what amazing things he's been creating..... ;)
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Postby Kupzinger » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:07 pm

Dear Matt, dear all,

I am very very sorry, there is a strong missunderstanding which I have caused by not expressing myself precise enough - maybe due to my bad English.

Matt, you wrote that after making photos of your loco, you "saw all kinds of spots that needed touching up". Then, I wanted to joke that since your inspiration for the model comes from a painting, you shold not make a photo but rather a painting. "Let someone else paint your model" was not related to your great job of coloring the loco, but as an alternative to taking photos. The "someone else" is actually really misleading, I see now.

Maybe, all in all, the joke was not that good, and it surely caused missunderstandings. I am sorry for that.

I like the loco really very much, and I did not at all wanted to say that you did a bad paint job. This would also contradict my previous positive comments...

Cheers
Kupzinger
Kupzinger

Postby mattinair » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:27 am

K. > Whew, brother I sure hope you got the P.M. I sent you earlier.....Yes, it's really quite funny that even though the painting is a 107 years old and is interesting rail road history wise the artist(God rest his soul) didn't do that good a job on the locomotive in the painting....There is a famous painting done in the 1870's of the Sacramento station in California that shows one of these locomotives a little more accurately (so I knew the "new" locos had a big red circle ringed with gold on the front and a much smaller cinder trap etc,),,,I'm going to be trying to find some photographic data on the rail road in Cazadero in our local archives and will hopefully get a better idea of just what rolling stock they we're using....And again my apologies to Steel City......Really more KIT TRASHING than KIT BASHING......but still thanks to Steel City for the great stuff your doing on Shapeway's........
mattinair

Previous

Return to T Gauge Custom Rolling Stock