•   
  • Talking T Gauge Shop
    Your online shop for T gauge locomotives, rolling stock and scenery items. Buy for your layout...and support the forum at the same time!

Board index Talking T Gauge Forum T Gauge Custom Rolling Stock

Post details of your rolling stock developments - locomotive, carriages, DMUs, etc.

Re: sjrashid's 20th Century Limited J3 Hudson Steam Locomoti

Postby Ozrail » Thu May 05, 2016 12:42 pm

I'm highly impressed, how did you do the LED headlight?
Check out my Shapeways store for T-gauge stuff.
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/everythingtgauge?s=0
Ozrail

Postby JoeMalinchak » Fri May 06, 2016 2:40 am

Hi Ozrail,
I found some very small pre-wired LED's that I soldered right onto the two tabs in front of the 35.5mm chassis. The LED was so bright I had to attached it to the outside of the shell. I tried it inside but you could see the white glow right though the shell.

I purchased the 3 volt pico sized cool white LED from http://www.ModelTrainSoftware.com
Attachments
IMG_4650.JPG
IMG_4650.JPG (76.77 KiB) Viewed 1627 times
IMG_4652.JPG
IMG_4652.JPG (119.6 KiB) Viewed 1627 times
JoeMalinchak

Postby mattinair » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:11 am

Apologies to sjrashid.....I kit bashed the 20th Century Limited into a loco for the Cazadero station.....still needs a bit more work...definitely a bell
DSCN3326_01.JPG
DSCN3326_01.JPG (112.37 KiB) Viewed 1480 times

The loco in the painting is somewhat abstract....so was my attempt at kit bashing :roll:
DSCN3077.JPG
DSCN3077.JPG (133.37 KiB) Viewed 1480 times
mattinair

Postby mattinair » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:54 am

I'm really proud of the bell.... :roll: ....still needs a number....
DSCN3346_01.JPG
DSCN3346_01.JPG (266.73 KiB) Viewed 1445 times

the engineer's got an attitude :lol:
mattinair

Postby Kupzinger » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:11 am

Great stuff. That really looks artistic. As if the loco just drove from the painting onto your T tracks :) And the bell - cool. What did you use for the bell?
Cheers
Kupzinger
Kupzinger

Postby mattinair » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:51 pm

I started with an empty section of plastic tube from a ball point pen that I heated up over a candle.....
DSCN3349_01.JPG
DSCN3349_01.JPG (442.04 KiB) Viewed 1434 times

Then apply gold paint to the area than seem to flair right.....
DSCN3351_01.JPG
DSCN3351_01.JPG (350.2 KiB) Viewed 1434 times

Then cut the tip off and mount it on a pin or toothpick to finish it......
DSCN3360_01.JPG
DSCN3360_01.JPG (359.49 KiB) Viewed 1434 times

This is my first attempt at a loco....I've really been inspired by what I see people(like yourself) doing on this forum....
Thanks to you all.......
After I posted the photo of the loco I, of course, saw all kinds of spots that needed touching up.....Geeeeze :roll:
mattinair

Postby Kupzinger » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:42 am

Thanks for the detailed reply! Well, making fotos is always a good approach for a critical view of a model. In T of course, it is even more critical... :) But in your case, you should let someone paint your model :)
Cheers
Kupzinger
Kupzinger

Postby mattinair » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:51 am

I really wish "other people" would do every thing>I'm so envious of people working in the other larger gauges....they have so many beautifully crafted trains and scenic features all ready made to chose from (even Z)...Right now with only one manufacturer and the loss of the only North American vendor Tgauge is on "The endangered Toy Train Gauge list"....A real Bummer(!!!)
Yeah, I'll put a car or in this case a loco on the tracks and think it looks really great but then I take a close up photo and oh what a piece of crap :o ...So I just say it's "weathering" :lol: ....In this case the weathering is justified>even though the painting was done in 1909 the locomotive pictured was an old clunker built in the 1870s (hauling San Francisco kids the 7 miles from the main line out to summer camps in Cazadero)...the tracks were left over from a lumber boom a generation before....
DSCN3406_01.JPG
DSCN3406_01.JPG (115.68 KiB) Viewed 1403 times

DSCN3404_01.JPG
DSCN3404_01.JPG (134.85 KiB) Viewed 1403 times

still just can't get the lighting right.....geeeze....
mattinair

Postby NoelDollimore » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:54 pm

Hi Mattinair.
That's a great loco you have there, especially for a first attempt.
It is quite obvious that you intended it to represent the 'OLD TIMER' in the painting, and as it is an artists impression of the scene there is very little detail available for you to include.
With regard to painting models in this size, we all do the best we can, some of us have gained more experience over time and produce results to quite a high standard, however, for a first attempt, I think you have done a very comendable job and I look forward to seeing more of your work, and don't be put off by previous comments, if you let other people paint your models you'll never have the satisfaction of being able to say 'I did that', at least you HAND PAINTED your loco, you didn't use printed decals, keep up the good work.
Best regards, Noel.
Knowledge is of no value unless it is shared, if you can remember it !!
NoelDollimore

Postby NoelDollimore » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:24 am

Dear Mr Kupzinger.
Having seen the examples of your work it is clear you are quite an experienced and accomplished modeller, and , in my view, as such, I consider your earlier comments somewhat unfortunate as you don't exactly appear to be encouraging modellers to show of their first attempts at producing items in this minute scale.
When a modeller has the courage to place photographs of their first attempt at a project on a public forum it can be very helpful to receive constructive criticism, but, as I understood your comments, totally soul destroying to to be told to 'let someone else do it', I appreciate you may not have meant this literally, but that is how I, and probably others, perceived them.
I have seen many comments on this and other forum, bemoaning the fact that too few people are discussing and showing new and updated projects and I can quite understand someone new and inexperienced not wanting to put their efforts on show for fear of being told they're not good enough, we all have to start somewhere.
I am sorry to take this attitude but as I understand it, the aim of this forum is to foster the enjoyment and proliferation of this unique model railway system, 'T' gauge.
Yours, Noel Dollimore.
Knowledge is of no value unless it is shared, if you can remember it !!
NoelDollimore

PreviousNext

Return to T Gauge Custom Rolling Stock