Board index Talking T Gauge Forum T Gauge Custom Rolling Stock

Post details of your rolling stock developments - locomotive, carriages, DMUs, etc.

V-IRM CUSTOMS

Postby Mingjim » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:11 am

The donors are from Shapeways. The decals were created with Adobe Photoshop. I also created white background decals with my ALPS printer to be used with the 9405 livery before I apply the blue decals are applied. Here are two photos of the projects so far.

Ramon
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (99.76 KiB) Viewed 8826 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (125.53 KiB) Viewed 8826 times
Mingjim

Re: V-IRM CUSTOMS

Postby ConnorL » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:16 am

I'm wondering but can someone teach me how to do these decals.

I don't know how to get one, apply it, and seal.

I had tried decals in other scale, but it keeps on flaking or doesn't completely stay on the surface giving an off finish.

Either ways, it looks awesome! Can't wait for the outcome!
ConnorL

Postby Mingjim » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:53 am

ConnorL wrote:I'm wondering but can someone teach me how to do these decals.

I don't know how to get one, apply it, and seal.

I had tried decals in other scale, but it keeps on flaking or doesn't completely stay on the surface giving an off finish.

Either ways, it looks awesome! Can't wait for the outcome!

Let me see how it turns out. I will send you a set (free of charge). Have you used model masters decal set solution?. I use model masters sealant to completely seal the decal. I have been doing this over 15 years with 1/400 scale planes w/o a problem.
Mingjim

Postby jesse6669 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:45 pm

This is the same technique I use for my decoration. (And I'm jealous of the Alps printers!!! I have to use clear stock over white paint for my white lettering.. :mrgreen: )

In my experience the Shapeways body will need to be painted first--but after that it's just a matter of care. You can't over-do the decal setting solution because of the small size of the decals, thy do like to curl and distort if it's really strong solution. Like anything, with a little practice and trial and error you'll have it down.
jesse6669

Postby ConnorL » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:01 am

Thank you, but first... you don't have to send it now. I would like to learn how to apply decals onto trains correctly after painting them.

I am making a SD70M diesel train and I would like to place "CSX" logo on both sides and hopefully some tiny writings...but I don't know a proper way.

And that's pretty much what I'm trying to do with, Jesse...but I don't know if I should be using some kind of glue or clear coat that is applied after applying decals to prevent seeing the "paper" sticking out.
ConnorL

Postby Mingjim » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:24 am

I would recommend using a clear coat to finish the project after you place the decals.
Mingjim

Postby Mingjim » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:27 am

jesse6669 wrote:This is the same technique I use for my decoration. (And I'm jealous of the Alps printers!!! I have to use clear stock over white paint for my white lettering.. :mrgreen: )

In my experience the Shapeways body will need to be painted first--but after that it's just a matter of care. You can't over-do the decal setting solution because of the small size of the decals, thy do like to curl and distort if it's really strong solution. Like anything, with a little practice and trial and error you'll have it down.

Let me know if you need anything printed with the ALPS printer. I am more than happy to print it for you.
Mingjim

Postby Mingjim » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:47 pm

Here is a quick update and photo. I started placing the decals on the 9524 today.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (97.31 KiB) Viewed 8690 times
Mingjim

Postby Mingjim » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:52 am

Here are some more photos. Not done yet.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (88.33 KiB) Viewed 8680 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (84.96 KiB) Viewed 8680 times
Mingjim

Postby Mingjim » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:53 am

I still need to paint the top/front as well as decal the front windshield/wipers/headlights.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (90.46 KiB) Viewed 8680 times
Mingjim

Next

Return to T Gauge Custom Rolling Stock