•   
  • Talking T Gauge Shop
    Your online shop for T gauge locomotives, rolling stock and scenery items. Buy for your layout...and support the forum at the same time!

Board index Talking T Gauge Forum T Gauge Custom Rolling Stock

Post details of your rolling stock developments - locomotive, carriages, DMUs, etc.

Zm Beast

Postby ivanf » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:16 pm

Had a play over the weekend resising my Nm Beast down to Zm.

The Beast was the first model I did for someone else quite a while back. My new method of designing models in blender is so much faster than in the olden days that I ended up redoing most of the model - I think the buffers are still original otherwise it's just about all new. The good news is that my new methods are a lot more efficient in terms of material used so it should be a lot cheaper than before.

It's now based on the beast as it was later on in it's life.

Just need to toughen up the buffers then it's time for a test print - or more accurately time to dust of a few more half done projects to make up an order, then it's time for a test print.

beast.jpg
beast.jpg (40.13 KiB) Viewed 2735 times
ivanf

Re: Zm Beast

Postby Billard » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:46 pm

Great news Ivan.
Another bit of motive power for my new Zm layout, now named 'Roussennac', a little village in the Midi Pyrenees where we spent a very pleasant fortnight a few years ago, unfortunately it never has had a railway connection but if it had I'm sure it would have been something like my layout.
At risk of causing you to blow a fuse, when the beast is done please can you consider doing some of that lovely French freight stock you've done in Nm, that would give the 'Beast' something to play with then.
Sorry Ivan, you know me, always looking ahead, I've been invited to take the layout to 'Zedex' at Oxford in October so the more stock the better, I think.
Good to hear from you again.
Best regards, Noel.
Billard

Postby Nutter » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:43 am

Brilliant Ivan. will wait its availability keenly. Just need the funds to purchase. :D
Will the rear bogie coupling be usable so we can couple with any other rolling stock?
Mike based on the Southern side of London

Posting most of the time from a mobile phone please excuse typos
Nutter

Postby ivanf » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:33 pm

Hi Noel, no risk of fuse blowing.... I'm happy for any and all suggestions - it's only when I get a few nudges that I get on with anything. Although as you'll know from previous suggestions there isn't a direct correlation between nudges and activity. But there is a link between no nudges and complete inactivity. :)

I've done one of these...

marly.jpg
marly.jpg (43.88 KiB) Viewed 2704 times

... that I'll be test printing along with the beast.

My main concern about it leads onto Mikes question and that is couplers. Once I've got a plan for couplers the other wagons I've done will be "rapidly" downsized. I've also just done a bogie coach that needs downsizing from HOm via Nm to Zm.

To answer Mikes question - at the moment the beast won't couple... which is a flaw... that I hadn't thought of until you mentioned it. Simplest thing would be to chop something off the back and then sticking in the chassis in the right position will leave the coupler sticking out the back.. need to dig out my digital calipers and work out how much to chop off.

For wagons, in T and in Zm I have the same question. I've done a FUD coupler socket on a t-gauge wagon that needs another iteration before I know it works... but that would lead to needing loads of couplers which are a bit big and clunky and lead to a farily large wagon separation. Also the coupler socket will need to be pretty chunky to last any amount of time in FUD. I'm toying with making a U shaped hook coupler out of brass wire to allow wagons to couple on the cheap. I'd have it fixed at one end of one wagon and sticking out to go into a socket on the next wagon.

That would lead to one barrier wagon between the logo with a standard coupler and then a hook on the back for the next wagon.

My main problem is that whenever I think about coupling I want working coupling and go off and try to design something in etched brass that would work... and then balk at the price of getting brass etched, given how many tries I would take to get it right... :)
ivanf

Postby Nutter » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:25 pm

Looking good. happy to have a barrier wagon with wire hook and eye for a fixed rake whilst fitting a std coupling at the other end.
Thought just occurred to me if we were to only need to use the one coupling on the beast, the other one could be used on the first wagon behind.

As always thinking practicalities how are you planning to fix wheels or which ones in the wagons?

Nutter

Postby NoelDollimore » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:49 pm

Hi Ivan.
Thank you for your reply, glad to know there'll be no need for rewiring fuses, and to quote a line from a very old song 'Ah yes I remember it well !!!', (this will only mean something to we older folk).
I love the wagon, cant wait !!!!
Since you announced the coming of the beast, I've been looking into various forms of couplings which could be used so as to allow the beast to have something to play with as well as allowing some autorails to tow trailers, eventually progressing to semi or full automatic so as to allow some basic shunting, if at all possible.
I have a long standing friend who produces etched brass railway kits and I have started picking his brains in this direction, who knows where this may lead.
I'll keep you up to speed with progress when there is some.
Keep up the good work, I'm watching your shop constantly for new items. NO PRESSURE. :D
All the best, Noel.
Knowledge is of no value unless it is shared, if you can remember it !!
NoelDollimore

Postby Nutter » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:21 pm

Hi Noel, don't think the Greenwich or Paul Windle style of 009 couplings would work. Did look at Z gauge microtrains ones but they can be a cow to sort out.
Personal choice is something simple that is not too critical to set up.
Must admit something to connect the Autorails together would be good.
My Layout will be using fixed rakes where possible.

Nutter

Postby mattd10 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:22 am

Hi guys,
I saw these on the t gauge.com Facebook page a while back...looks like they're being developed. Not sure if they're the sort of thing you're looking for?
Matt
mattd10

Postby ivanf » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:10 am

thanks Matt, they look like just the thing.

shall forget about trying to couplers myself and wait for those to be released.... :)
ivanf

Postby Nutter » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:07 pm

Hi Ivan, how you getting on with the Beast,
See version 2 is beta on shapeways with the gap at the rear.
Will have to leave it a fortnight before I can bite the bullet - just had to pay the next car insurance premium. :(

Nutter

Next

Return to T Gauge Custom Rolling Stock