Board index Talking T Gauge Forum T Gauge Custom Rolling Stock

Post details of your rolling stock developments - locomotive, carriages, DMUs, etc.

Re: Smoking QTT/T Gauge steam locomotive

Postby MMBUFBerlin » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:30 pm

My locomotives are all electrically connected with this Liquid Silver. I also improved TT points with it. This silver sticks very well and also gets hard, so it lasts a long time and conducts the current very well!
MMBUFBerlin

Postby MMBUFBerlin » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:40 am

A few words to the supposed prototypes: If you want to build a model locomotive, you first make a design drawing. Then a hand sample is built to see if the design works at all. Then the items are machined and then the first locomotive is built with this items. That's the prototype. And nobody has it so far!
What KK Eishindo showed was not even a hand sample, that was a rough study. And Alan has so far only chassis studies. Closest to the prototype is clearly Siegfried!
MMBUFBerlin

Postby MMBUFBerlin » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:20 am

Here are some pictures of how the current status of all steam locomotive builders is:

Hand sample by myself:

MALLARD_hand_sample.jpg
MALLARD hand sample
MALLARD_hand_sample.jpg (704.39 KiB) Viewed 1080 times

Rough study by KK Eishindo:

C62_rough_study.jpg
C62 rough study
C62_rough_study.jpg (50.49 KiB) Viewed 1080 times

Chassis study / nearly but bad hand sample by TGauge.com:

A3_chassis_study.jpg
A3 chassis study
A3_chassis_study.jpg (97.35 KiB) Viewed 1080 times

Nearly prototype by Siegfried:

01_nearly_prototype.jpg
01 nearly prototype
01_nearly_prototype.jpg (404.04 KiB) Viewed 1080 times
MMBUFBerlin

Postby jesse6669 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:20 pm

Don't forget Joe M. He has a K-4 Pacific. And Alan R' s prototype is bigger/better than before, he exhibited at a show last fall: https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=2161460877430197
jesse6669

Postby MMBUFBerlin » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:03 pm

Joe builds like me only for himself! I also called my MALLARD only to show what is meant with a hand sample. I'm not on Facebook, so unfortunately I can not see your link. But I know that Alan showed exactly this A3 work in Birmingham, as shown on the picture in my post earlier. And that is NOT a prototype, this is at most a bad hand sample! If that were the prototype, then that means he wants to build this loco also exactly as bad in series. But who should buy that terrible vehicle?!
With all due respect to Alan's commitment, but I would never have presented this weird part at a trade show! In front of people with claim he has simply embarrassed himself with it!
MMBUFBerlin

Postby MMBUFBerlin » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:54 pm

It has been several years since KK Eishindo showed this terrible C62 vehicle for the amusement of the other model railway manufacturers in Nuremberg. Nothing has changed since then! Of those so no steam locomotive is expected! And I'm worried that Alan will also let the steam locomotive project seep through in the sand, for two reasons: first, such a locomotive can not be made at the Made-in-
China-low-cost-price, and secondly, there simply are not enough Customers for such a locomotive who also are ready to pay the high price.
MMBUFBerlin

Postby MMBUFBerlin » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:09 pm

In this respect, it is certainly not only interesting for Alan to find out who is willing to pay 1000 Euros and more for a steam locomotive in T Gauge.
Please call your price limits!
MMBUFBerlin

Postby jesse6669 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:17 pm

Most certainly the price of a RTR steam locomotive model may be high .. my estimate is it may very well get up into the multiple hundreds of Euros.. if they are truly mass produced i.e. China, they shouldn't be $1000 though. $200 US would be somewhere about right I would guess. But then there's a large up-front investment in tooling, etc. to make a run, likely around $15,000 at least. How many units need to sell to spread out that up-front cost..

On the other hand--consider the economics of brass locomotives from the 70's and 80's made by hand in limited quantity by artisans in Korea and Japan? They were expensive and yet modelers and collectors purchased them. So maybe an $500 or $1000 hand-made or small-batch-production steam locomotive might be feasible. "Pre order" is the rule of the day with manufacturers even in the popular scales these days so "Reserve today for delivery in 2020" and then produce to order may work as a business model.

Anyway--I think of the current batch of steam prototypes as "proof of concept" to show what is possible. Yes they have been done by yourself and others for several years now, but there are more and more others, and they are evolving to be better and better. Working valve gear, smoke... I'm optimistic that T steam will continue to develop, and my bet is that before very long there will be some "commercial" locomotive, whether it be a kit or RTR of some kind.
jesse6669

Postby MMBUFBerlin » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:49 pm

So as far as I'm concerned, if I could not even build steam locomotives, I would rather pay 1000 euros for a model from Germany, as 200 euros for such a China crap, which drives already new crappy and is broken after a short time!
If I approach the theme of T Gauge here in Germany in model railway shops, the dealers all wave down. They are not even ready to put a single one of these KK Eishindo ICE in the showcase for rehearsal because it's such a technical botch!
MMBUFBerlin

Postby MMBUFBerlin » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:02 am

I do not want to take away your hope, but I'm not so optimistic because I know how difficult alone it is to assemble the locomotives, if all the parts already prefabricated. There are people with watchmaking skills needed and they cost much money. Or it is made by vending machines, but their purchase costs millions, which is then worthwhile only for mass production such as handled in the Asian watch industry. And if the locomotives are supposed to look really good, 3D prints will be not enough, then real shapes are needed, and they are also expensive, $ 15,000 are not enough, then we are moving into investments of $ 100,000 and more!
The cheapest option is still to have all parts manufactured by companies that already have the necessary machines and tools. That's what Siegfried does, but that costs almost near 1000 euros per locomotive!
MMBUFBerlin

PreviousNext

Return to T Gauge Custom Rolling Stock