Board index Talking T Gauge Forum T Gauge Custom Rolling Stock

Post details of your rolling stock developments - locomotive, carriages, DMUs, etc.

Rhaetian Ry (RhB) Allegra Train

Postby jesse6669 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:57 pm

Here's a project I just completed-- a model of a Rhaetian Railway Allegra set. All are powered, running on the 35.5mm chassis. They are really not 1:450, probably closer to 1:420 or so to fit the shells.

I made the control or "A" unit shells with 3D printing (Shapeways FUD), and bashed the "B" or middle unit from an "A". For the B unit, some build-up of the shell was done with a mixture of squadon putty and thick ACC glue--this mix hardens nicely but has body, and sticks well to the acrylic shells. It was sanded to contour. I painted the shells white in preparation for decalling, as the decoration is the "whole side" decal technique, and artwork was made on clear decal stock. The bodies were touched up with white, black, red, and gray paint where the decals didn't reach. The pantographs were made from bits from an etched brass ship detailing sheet. If anyone's interested in making their own, the lead units will be on Shapeways or feel free to contact me!

Jesse
Attachments
allegra under const sm.jpg
allegra under const sm.jpg (67.87 KiB) Viewed 2544 times
Allegra 2 sm.jpg
Allegra 2 sm.jpg (130.12 KiB) Viewed 2544 times
jesse6669

Re: Rhaetian Ry (RhB) Allegra Train

Postby tramdriver » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:49 pm

Hi

Cool, I really like it. The ratio doesn´t matter really (1:450 or 1:420), since the RhB is metre-gauge, so the real ratio should be 1:333.

Have Fun
Tramdriver
tramdriver

Postby ConnorL » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:12 pm

Awesome job jesse! I'm wondering, but what kind of layout are you going to make for these kind of trains. Will they have operating headlight?

Can't wait to see the finished product!
ConnorL

Postby jesse6669 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:48 pm

ConnorL wrote:what kind of layout are you going to make for these kind of trains. Will they have operating headlight?

These were made for a fellow T-gauger in Germany, and what you see is the finished model. No working headlight, although I suppose it would be possible to use the standard headlight "chip" with a little drilling. I expect the owner is working on a layout patterned after the route in the Alps, but I have not seen it.! Hopefully some day!

My layout is patterned after a short segment of the B&O around Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. It's under construction.. see http://jessestmodels.blogspot.com/ for details.
jesse6669

Postby Nutter » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:15 pm

I know it is an old thread, have you seen a layout or anything yet.
Thinking about getting a set of these for a Swiss themed layout,using minimum radius curves. :idea:
Have lots of trees(about 500) etc from my old Z Gauge Swiss layout, and details of the RhB stations with plans.
Mike
DON'T knock it at least I am trying to do something, with only one good hand.
Nutter

Return to T Gauge Custom Rolling Stock