Board index Talking T Gauge Forum T Gauge Custom Rolling Stock

Post details of your rolling stock developments - locomotive, carriages, DMUs, etc.

Chassis Extension

Postby ivanf » Sat May 17, 2014 6:43 pm

I've had a small victory!

DSC05580.JPG
DSC05580.JPG (88.55 KiB) Viewed 5491 times

That's a 19m mechanism with the non powered bogie taken off and attached to the chassis to give the correct bogie separation for....

DSC05581.JPG
DSC05581.JPG (80.48 KiB) Viewed 5491 times

A 1m gauge Billard A150D railcar in Zm gauge/scale/thing.

I've even had a loop of track out and after a lot of polishing with paper got it to pootle round happily. It runs nicely in both directions on 15cm radius loop of track, on the 12cm less so... Happy in one direction but derails when the modified bogie is going forwards. I'm hoping a little weight will fix that, although not using tight radius currves is also an option.

Ivan.
ivanf

Re: Chassis Extension

Postby dkightley » Sun May 18, 2014 10:57 pm

That's a lovely conversion. :)

I assume you'll be connecting up the power pickup from the two pieces of wire onto the busbars?

That will improve the running performance..... having power pickup from eight wheels instead of four.
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Postby ConnorL » Tue May 20, 2014 3:43 am

That is seriously cool! Very handy using that motor to make the entire engine longer.
Will there be miniature people inside the windows? We will never know!
ConnorL

Postby ivanf » Tue May 20, 2014 7:21 pm

Doug: Thanks... I am officially pleased with it. Yup... wiring up the loose coupler is the next step... then need to get some new paint brushes and splosh some paint on.

Conner: Thanks to you too... I would put tiny people inside if it wasn't for the great big lump of chassis filling a lot of the interior... I'm hoping that once the windows are in a few coloured blobs might give the impression of passengers.

mostly I'm pleased that it works at all... most of my Nm railcars can now be rescaled down to Zm... for the rapidly growing crowd of Zm modellers... 3 at the last count... :)
ivanf

Postby ConnorL » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:15 am

How is the progress on this project? It looks really interesting! Do you think you could fit a headlight in there?
ConnorL

Postby ivanf » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:11 pm

Hi Connor,

not a lot of progress... the chassis extension works and I've done another Zm model for the small but growing fraternity of Zm modellers out there... 4 at the last count... :)

I've got a new airbrush and am hoping that will allow me to get some paint on it and a few of my other unpainted models.. ( pretty much all of them... )

There is plenty of room inside the body for some headlights but the prototype had twin headlights on the outer corners so wiring them up could be tricky... I've got some t-gauge.com fibreoptic stuff that might work...
ivanf

Return to T Gauge Custom Rolling Stock