Board index Talking T Gauge Forum T Gauge Custom Rolling Stock

Post details of your rolling stock developments - locomotive, carriages, DMUs, etc.

Chassis dimensions?

Postby dvdouden » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:16 pm

Hi there, newbie here. I've just taken my first steps back into the scale trains hobby by purchasing some T gauge items. Last time I touched a scale train was two decades ago when I was in my teens (my dad's H0 Marklin).

Anyway, I'd Ike to build my own DCC-like system from scratch. Ideally, I'd like the decoder to fit inside the chassis, but since my order hasn't arrived yet I have no way of measuring the available space in the chassis.
Does anyone know the width of the motorized chassis (so inside the body shell)?
The 19 meter and longer chassis' have some empty space behind the motor. What is the height of this space and the length for the various chassis'? (19, 20, 21 and 23 meter)
What is the vertical distance between the motor and the bus-bars?

And the last question: is the construction of standard locomotives similar to the motorized chassis'? I.e.: is the body shell of standard locomotives removable and is there similar space available underneath?

My order hasn't been shipped yet, otherwise I would've measured it myself (ordered a 23m chassis), but I'd like to be able do some pcb designing in the mean time and having some target dimensions would help a lot, especially the width of the chassis is crucial.

Thanks in advance for any answers!
dvdouden

Re: Chassis dimensions?

Postby dkightley » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:33 pm

Welcome to the world of T!

I think your questions can be sort of answered by referring you to a couple of existing threads...

Firstly, this thread: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=493&p=7820&hilit=dcx65#p7820

You'll see what space is available....but not the dimensions, as all will be revealed. There's only one DCC decoder chip available at present that stands any chance of being fited inside any existing T gauge power unit..the DCX65 decoder from CT Elektroniks. I have had some on order for three months now....and neither myself nor the UK distributer can get any form of explanation from CT as to why they are not supplying! The DCX65 by the way is 6mm x 5mm x 1.8mm and will fit in the 23mm chassis...but at present, I'm not sure how the smaller units fair!

The second thread is viewtopic.php?f=10&t=525

This thread documents what I'm currently doing with DCC....

To answer one of your questions....all of the power units are constructed in exactly the same way....so the "gap" you refer to , if space is available, will be there on both the unbodied and bodied power units.
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Re: Chassis dimensions?

Postby dvdouden » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:02 pm

dkightley wrote:Welcome to the world of T!

I think your questions can be sort of answered by referring you to a couple of existing threads...

Thanks! I did read those threads before, and made some guesses on the dimensions based on the picture I found here and on tgauge.com, but couldn't find any info on the width of the chassis, nor deduce it from photo's.
I saw the DCX65, that's ridiculously tiny! I won't be able to make my board that small, since I can't solder lead-less IC's by hand. The current design is 14 by 7 mm's. I guess it's too wide to fit, I can bring the width down to 5 mm I think, but that will increase the length of the board by a couple of mm.

To answer one of your questions....all of the power units are constructed in exactly the same way....so the "gap" you refer to , if space is available, will be there on both the unbodied and bodied power units.

Cool, I was hoping for that

Thanks for the reply!
dvdouden

Return to T Gauge Custom Rolling Stock