•   
  • Talking T Gauge Shop
    Your online shop for T gauge locomotives, rolling stock and scenery items. Buy for your layout...and support the forum at the same time!

Board index Talking T Gauge Forum T Gauge General Discussions

The place for general discussions and requests for help on all matters relating to T gauge.

Motorised Chasses..are we looking at design improvements?

Postby grahame » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:49 pm

I have essentially purchased motorized chasses 4 times and have noticed a trend. I wonder if this is a coincidence, bad luck or the result of improvements made to the design. Through all this Alan at T Gauge has been so helpful..thanks again. I have only ever used the correct T Gauge power supply at all times.

1. Purchased the original 4 car HST set – both motors have failed and both been replaced. The LED assembly on one has also failed. These are very slow to get running again after a period of inactivity..lots of fiddling but eventually they will run.
2. Purchased the additional 5 coach set with motorized buffet car..better than above but still needs some tinkering to run well after inactivity.
3. Purchased chassis and made a Class Warship using Shapeways body..runs pretty well..much better than the first 4 car set
4. Purchased motorized chassis for F7 using Shapeways body. This loco runs really well..never had a problem..straight out of the box and after periods of inactivity.

Clearly time has gone by between 1 and 4..am I seeing design improvements here?

Comments welcome.
British exPat in Houston, Texas.
grahame

Re: Motorised Chasses..are we looking at design improvements

Postby dkightley » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:48 pm

I don't think you're seeing any design improvements at all. I think you've experienced a combination of bad luck and simply how things are for these items.

The two bad motors must purely be down to a batch of out of spec motors that you have probably had two of. I've never had any issues with any of the motors in the array of power units I have. And I've never had problems with the LEDs....and knowing how reliable solid state components can be nowadays, I'm somewhat puzzled as to why you've had an issue with one as well as two motors. You say you've only used the standard TGauge controllers. Have you used an external power supply, or only batteries?? If an external supply, then I'd check that out as it may be a common denominator if the voltage is possibly too high!

Regarding the reluctance to run smoothly first thing, this is something I've recently been discussing with martink in a PM exchange. We both have exactly the same experience with getting trains running at exhibitions. We've both found we need to run the power units on their own on full power for a few minutes to warm them up before adding wagons/carriages and gradually slowing them down to realistic speeds. We've both also had exactly the same issue with having to get a good order for coaches on the HSTs to prevent derailments, etc. I have a 3-car class 180 set where I have the two power cars marked...one runs at the front and one at the back. Run them the other way round and the carriage between them has a tendency to derail on tight corners. And we both find that towards the end of a running day, we need to speed the trains up a bit to ensure smooth running as wheels and track start to gum up a bit. All perfectly normal I'm afraid...and part of the fun of exhibiting a layout!

With respect to Graham's comments about differing running performances, I have had variance in performance as well. I put this fairly and sqarely down to differences in build tolerances causing differing running friction levels.....again part of what I would expect. I run in all my power units before I use them.....about a days worth of running at a smart pace, followed by a few hours at a much slower speed. If I get a stall, I run longer to free everything up more. And after this, they still need the running in at the start of the day.

Having said all that.....I'm looking forward to some much improved couplings I can use on longer consists like the HST. I had issues with derailing caused by the couplings not aligning properly and the springs holding the coupling too rigid. Removing the springs makes them run much better....but they're then a bugger to couple up! I did once try and use the fixed couplings....but you end up with a "snake" that's too hard to handle!!
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Re: Motorised Chasses..are we looking at design improvements

Postby grahame » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:17 am

Yes sir..I agree with all of that..
British exPat in Houston, Texas.
grahame

Return to T Gauge General Discussions