•   
  • Talking T Gauge Shop
    Your online shop for T gauge locomotives, rolling stock and scenery items. Buy for your layout...and support the forum at the same time!

Board index Talking T Gauge Forum T Gauge General Discussions

The place for general discussions and requests for help on all matters relating to T gauge.

Interested in T Gauge but some stuff turns me off

Postby ErikTwice » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:43 pm

Before I start, I'm new to the forums. Nice to meet you!

Here's the thing: I have practically no space for a model layout. My N Scale trains, as small as they are, look impossibly huge when compared to the realities of my cramped student room. I really have no more space than whatever I can hide away, limiting me to an overly narrow bed or door layout.

Hence, when I discovered T Gauge, I was immediately interested. In T Gauge, that bed or door is positively huge. Almost three times as big as it would be for my N scale layout, actually, and were I to obtain more space I could cram designs normally intended for whole rooms in just an average amount of space. The problem is, that I'm not sure I can actually create the railroads I want using T Gauge. Here are the problems I have with it:

1) Turnouts: There's only one set of available turnouts and they have a very awkard S-like shape. This is a small detail but it makes non-commuter stations and yards look extremely awkard and take away a lot of the possible design possibilities. I could try to build them, but I'm a newbie railroader and making your own track in such an extremely small scale seems crazy.

2) No automatic coupling/uncoupling: This means operating layouts are out of the question and the focus must be on running trains. Not too much of a dealbreaker, but noticiable.

3) Lack of Steam engines: One will be released soon, but I need more! Steam is the most fun kind of locomotives for me.

What do you think? Is T Gauge decididely not for me, or should I give it another look?
ErikTwice

Re: Interested in T Gauge but some stuff turns me off

Postby Ozrail » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:27 pm

Welcome to the world of T-gauge.

Here is my attempt at answering your questions.

1. Turnouts, unfortunately that is all the company has to offer, S bend types.
Eishindo were developing others, but have seem to have stopped for unknown reasons.

If you are extremely skilled, you could try making a turnout yourself.
Either from scratch, or buy the current turnouts and hack them into shape what you desire.

For me personally, I'd avoid turnouts as trains tend to stall easily on the massive frog gap of plastic.
Then again my turnouts are 6 to 7 years old now, so they 'may' have improved since then.

2. Couplings, You have several options for this.
a. You can follow mattinair's idea of using tiny earth magnets for couplers and have tiny push rods (under the board) located in places you want to uncouple wagons to help split them appart.
b. Contact Alan of Tgauge.com and see how he is going with his hook-n-loop couplers. (similar to Hornby, Bachmann OO gauge types)

3. There are 3D prints available for steam locomotive outlines. ;)
These include push-along, Jintys, Panniers, Austerity Tanks and the Flying Scotsman.
And for Motorised, British Merchant Navy Bullieds, and American 20th Century J3 Hudson.

I'm probably forgetting some others, but those are the ones I remember at the moment that are for sale.

Hope this helps,
Ozrail
Check out my Shapeways store for T-gauge stuff.
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/everythingtgauge?s=0
Ozrail

Postby ErikTwice » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:22 pm

Thanks for the answers Ozrail!

1) Really, the lack of turnouts is the biggest problem. I'm building a T gauge layout in Anyrail and I'm amazed at how many things I can fit and how wonderfully non-cramped it looks. But the moment I try to build a station or a small yard serving a industry, it's a huge pain. It's not much of an issue for single industries or lines with low traffic but I'm finding it really hard not to put two switches one after the other, which completely ruins the realism of the scene.

I'm not opposed to building my own track, I planned to do so with N scale actually, it just seems extremely difficult for a complete newbie like me to do it in T scale without any ready-to-build materials or a jig. An user here (viewtopic.php?f=12&t=148&start=10) made his on switch and even a jig to make them and the results look great, even. But there has been no talk of progress in over a year.

2) Magnets seem a fair enough trade-off in that I'm willing to sacrifice heavy switching for massive amounts of space until a better solution is done. But I've seen the push rods used in other scales and it doesn't seem a dumb solution at all.

3) Fair enough. Though I don't mind having a ton of tank engines Japanese Hudsons, for me the track is the most important part.

TL;DR: The turnout problem is the biggest one for me :(
ErikTwice

Postby jerrybigcat » Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:39 pm

Go to handaid track.com for track laying jigs and tools. I've used their products .
for Z and N, I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
jerrybigcat

Postby Reith01 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:52 pm

Yes, it's definitely possible to hack the point turnouts to a different shape - if armed with a demel to cut wedge-shaped chunks from the plastic base. Y-shapes don't seem practical. Maybe the frogs could be refashioned.

I've been disappointed with these points. Ways of making the trains behave on them have been raised here but I'm not enamoured by the idea of obligatory modification of a commercial product to make it work as advertised! I wondered about replacing the frog with rail - didn't try that but did make a workable point from rail, polystyrene sleepers, superglue etc. It took rather a long time. I should have made a jig or two - and there are no commercial rail gauges so I had to cobble a few together. There are plans of turnouts that can be reduced to 3mm gauge. A long turnout looks quite graceful.

A double-header takes the points quite well and points can be motorised.

The bane is having to use steel rail so soldering in volume is difficult.

If I'd like anything new it's a decent triangular rail gauge!
Reith01

Postby Reith01 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:04 pm

I also reminded myself - maybe worth a caution: if the room the layout is in is liable to change temperature by any kind of swing, leave
a gap between rail joints, a small shim maybe 0.25mm - 0.5mm. especially if gluing it down. The 15 or so degrees change in my room caused
it to expand, break gauge and go unlevel. For this reason on my next attempt I'll cut the track lengths down to 0.5metre and initially
stick it down with tape (something that's worked well with peco N gauge).

Reith01

Postby ErikTwice » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:28 pm

jerrybigcat wrote:Go to handaid track.com for track laying jigs and tools. I've used their products .
for Z and N, I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Oh yes, they look great! I just wish something like that existed for T gauge. If it did, I would jump right in!

Reith01 wrote:Yes, it's definitely possible to hack the point turnouts to a different shape - if armed with a demel to cut wedge-shaped chunks from the plastic base. Y-shapes don't seem practical. Maybe the frogs could be refashioned.

I've been disappointed with these points. Ways of making the trains behave on them have been raised here but I'm not enamoured by the idea of obligatory modification of a commercial product to make it work as advertised! I wondered about replacing the frog with rail - didn't try that but did make a workable point from rail, polystyrene sleepers, superglue etc. It took rather a long time. I should have made a jig or two - and there are no commercial rail gauges so I had to cobble a few together. There are plans of turnouts that can be reduced to 3mm gauge. A long turnout looks quite graceful.

A double-header takes the points quite well and points can be motorised.

The bane is having to use steel rail so soldering in volume is difficult.

If I'd like anything new it's a decent triangular rail gauge!

Well, you are trying which I think is a good thing! Like you, I think long turnouts would look great as their size in T scale is not an issue.

Do you have any pictures of your track? I'm curious about how it looks like!
ErikTwice

Postby jerrybigcat » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:38 am

The mathematics of a turnout remain the same no matter what scale you're working in. A #6 or #8 is the same, except for overall length. take another look at handlaidtrack.com.
jerrybigcat

Return to T Gauge General Discussions