Board index Talking T Gauge Forum T Gauge General Discussions

The place for general discussions and requests for help on all matters relating to T gauge.

Re: Brainstorm on going digital

Postby PolarExcess » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:58 am

I too am a fan of the decoder in the trailing car(s). Rationale: it's risky, cutting edge AND no one has done it before, or in the very least posted a youtube video of it. I run O Scale (3 Rail) locos via DCC & DCS and love the results.

Still waiting on my T-Gauge starter set to ship from tgauge.com to the USA. Might be 2014 before I get them; therefore I patiently wait.

Sent from my rotary phone.
PolarExcess

Postby JoostV » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:25 am

Hi all,

To be honest, it's not about cost, but about the challenge- being able to control the layout from my computer. On my old H0 track I had custom software running on a windows PC and access to it from my tablet (remote desktop). Yes it had a custom UI to allow finger movement to select loco's, set switches etc. Would be interesting to go there again :)

Sure.. a long way to go.. Still have issues coupling my HST. Everything is soooo small :)

Btw I also started a topic on the dutch beneluxspoor forum as there's a lot of digital knowledge there as well... Will share the results :)
JoostV

Postby Slarge » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:57 am

JoostV
So in very simplistic terms am I correct in thinking you are looking to use your computer to control the train by way of a DCC decoder... In essence the decoder is translating the commands from the computer and the track is acting as the wired connection to the motor?
Thus creating a digital controller rather than traditional DCC?
If so I can see how a single loop would work, but for blocks my concerns would be the same as dkightley's.
Slarge

Postby mattd10 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:04 pm

Im finding all this fascinating reading. Ive never done dcc in the larger scales but I think it'd be great for T!

I remember I posted a link to the smallest decoder I could find on the old forum....it was just small enough to squeeze into a trailing coach if I remember rightly! I'll try and find it again if I can.

Im sure theres a video on youtube of a 103 unit with a decoder fitted externally as a proof of concept...I'll see if I can find that too!

Sent from mobile device
mattd10

Postby JoostV » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:19 pm

@Slarge

Exactly :) :)

Cheers,
Joost
JoostV

Postby mattd10 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:48 pm

mattd10