•   
  • Talking T Gauge Shop
    Your online shop for T gauge locomotives, rolling stock and scenery items. Buy for your layout...and support the forum at the same time!

Board index Talking T Gauge Forum T Gauge General Discussions

The place for general discussions and requests for help on all matters relating to T gauge.

Re: Using T Gauge within O Gauge

Postby Switcher102 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:39 am

martink wrote:That is a very interesting site. I've been thinking for quite a while now that battery+radio is the way forward for model railways, but alas not quite yet for T gauge.

Well, maybe not that far off for T gauge (as standard gauge). Have a look at my thread Wireless Control for T Gauge:- viewtopic.php?f=10&t=410 and get in league with Kupzinger. Infrared (IR) receivers are smaller than radio receivers. If I succede with getting my use of T gauge radio controlled I think I will have a look at IR because even in O gauge the use of such micro electronics will be of use to me.

The guy at DT (or Deltang) supplies these products in his spare time and does not have much time to answer the intricate questions I have. Another guy sells his products:- http://www.micronradiocontrol.co.uk/index.html and he is more ameanable to questions. When I know exactly what I want and what to ask I will ask him. You may get on fine with Mr DT himself if you are much more understanding of the products then me.

I think I understand what you saying about the oscilliscope reading. If it wasn't for the back EMF the reading would go down to zero between pulses. Finding a Lithium battery to fit T gauge might be difficult. The smallest LiPos I think are produced in China but still don't know if they would fit. It might be possble to get about 2 hours running with two button hearing aid batteries.
Switcher102

Postby dkightley » Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:51 pm

Gosh.....your post has brought back some old memories......

I worked for Micron Radio Control back in the late 1970s when the company was run by it's founder Terry Tippett. I used to help repair and service radio control systems that were sold as DIY kits. Terry's no longer involved with the company; I believe he sold it some 15 years ago to the current owner (Andy, I think his name is).
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Postby Switcher102 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:48 am

Wow, that's interesting Doug. Yes, that's right it is Andy now. Didn't realise the firm had been going that long, great to know. Radio control equipment is slowly crawling its way from the gigantic garden railway scene into the 21st century world of the micro.

Last weekend was O gauge's biggest event of the year and we don't normally get any radio control stuff there but one guy had a Deltang equiped loco (0-4-0 sadle tank i.e. no tender) on a test track and another guy was displaying a radio controlled loco on a trade stand BUT …… the equipment he used was ENORMOUS! He had to put it in a coach, not a wagon, a coach, BEHIND … a Gresley A4 Pacific! And this is O gauge. It was great that the guy was trying and I just didn't have the heart to tell him these days radio control didn't need to be inside a coach behind a pacific locomotive in O gauge, it didn't even need to be in a tender behind an 0-4-0 shunter. In fact infrared control might …… it just might … even fit inside T gauge. If not now, I don't think it's that far away.
Switcher102

Postby Kupzinger » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:10 pm

Hi,

Well, at least in T we need a coach for hosting some equipment :) At least the batteries. Today I got a first batch of type 10 hearing aid batteries and: they fit into my class 156 DMU. I am happy... But still busy with painting them rather designing and fitting IR equipment.

cheers
Kupzinger
Attachments
IMG_20160905_205040.jpg
Type 10 battery fits into 1:450 class 156 dmu
(82.25 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
Kupzinger

Postby Switcher102 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:01 am

Oh that's excellent Kupzinger. Yes, I expect T gauge will need the coach behind :)

Last night I met someone who has fitted some DT (Deltang) radio equipment into N gauge and saw and had a go with it, so I've found someone local I can discuss with face-to-face this micro equipment, always an advantage. With the project the subject of this thread, aswell as making the locomotive move I also have the extra task I want to achieve of making the driver's head turn, but I don't want it to look robotic so I would rather not use a servo. If his head could be turned using a motor/gearbox (the TM-001) instead of a servo, plus a potentiometer, I am thinking the speed and amount of turn can be altered, making it look less robotic.

Anyway, keep up the good work Kupzinger. Those hearing aid batteries are only about 1.5 volts or something, so to get any speed I reckon you will need two.

Rich
Switcher102

Postby Kupzinger » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:14 pm

Dear Rich,

good luck with your turning head :) Yes, indeed, I will two, maybe even three batteries. But in sum they are lighter than the extra wight that comes with the adjustable chassis.

Cheers
Kupzinger
Kupzinger

Postby Switcher102 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:14 pm

Well, reckon I've got all the equipment now. The receiver's there (green with arial), 3 volt lithium coin cell sitting on top of it, and on top of that a little motor / gear I want to turn the driver's head. Then there's the read switch and the tiny little magnet to switch it on.

In turning the driver's head I want to have the ability to change the speed and extent of the turn. I originally thought servos could not do that but apparently they can so I have also bought that same motor / gear (as in photo) with the electronic circuit board attached so I can try a servo version. Will experiment to see whether a servo or a motor / gear is best.

Also have to make the mechanics for turning his head. Plan is to have a rod going vertically through his body connected to his head at one end and to a cross piece the other (under his seat). Also have to make the driver's trolley to fit around all the equipment. Want to make it so that the driver can be removed. Don't like to have people permanently attached to things. I think a driver should only occupy a model loco when it is being driven.

Rich
Attachments
5 Inch Gauge Set Up 1b (640x369).jpg
5 Inch Gauge Set Up 1b (640x369).jpg (134.87 KiB) Viewed 732 times
Switcher102

Postby Kupzinger » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:52 pm

:) very cool!
What will the reed contact do?
Cheers
Kupzinger
Kupzinger

Postby Switcher102 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:11 am

The reed switch switches it all on, connects it all to the battery. Notice the tiny little magnet 3mm dia to switch it on, that won't look too odd stuck to the side of the driver's trolley. It's the smallest switch I know of that provides the least contact with the model. I don't like clunky switches that involve handling the model. Getting the equipment is the easy bit. Now comes the difficult bit .... putting it all together
:?

Can't remember if I've already mentioned this, I think I linked this site before … http://www.mikromodell.de/index.php?pag ... f=1&i=home … but notice that they have a forum. I know they are dealing in HO scale but they might be able to help you in your quest to wireless control T gauge.

Rich
Switcher102

Postby Kupzinger » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:33 pm

Hi, thanks for the hints. The idea with the switch is great ... Might steal it :)
Cheers
Kupzinger
Kupzinger

PreviousNext

Return to T Gauge General Discussions