Board index Talking T Gauge Forum T Gauge General Discussions

The place for general discussions and requests for help on all matters relating to T gauge.

Anybody in????

Postby dkightley » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:55 pm

It's eerily quiet on the forum nowadays.....and I'm slightly concerned that everybody's attention has drifted elsewhere away from the serious subject of T Gauge.

I know there's a steady stream of registered users who log onto the forum on a nearly daily basis....but all seem reluctant to post to either say what they're up to....or to comment on other's posts, etc.

Come on...WAKEY WAKEY.....let's hear what going on out there.
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Re: Anybody in????

Postby NeilM » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:03 am

I have not been getting anywhere with my own layout (whats new!), but I have passed my time being busy in Google Sketchup. I now have 3 items of rolling stock almost ready to go (2x US, 1x UK). I am planning to have these released before the end of the week. Watch this space!
Neil

T gauge items in my Shapeways shop http://www.shapeways.com/shops/t450
NeilM

Postby ivanf » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:12 am

you got me. :oops:

recently we've been decorating the house and fighting with our overgrown hedge - hedge now more or less subdued. I've only managed to squirt some clear coat onto a couple of models in the last month.

Next on my t-gauge list.

assemble my latest version of a t-gauge point/turnout
paint a bunch of Zm + T gauge stuff I've had printed
ivanf

Postby Ozrail » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:30 am

I know I have poor excuses for my lack of attendance.

Family members and friends passing to the afterlife.
Retail work is not as enjoyable thanks to new boss.
And been focus on my other model train scales, had to get new parts for my Live Steamer the other month.

The thrill of T-gauge has died on me a bit. I don't know why, maybe it's the lack of new products and news to keep me excited.
Sales for 3D prints is not strong as they use to be, and I've been focusing more on 3D animations for my youtube account which provide a more steady income.

For a while, I've been trying to build a new N-gauge layout, my old one was about 15 years old and was over due for a rebuild. (less train derailments hopefully)
I also dived into the world of DCC, which has not gone well for me. My first DCC chipped loco exploded after 10 mins in October 2015, and I only got it back from repairs a few weeks ago.

Ozrail
Check out my Shapeways store for T-gauge stuff.
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/everythingtgauge?s=0
Ozrail

Postby mattd10 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:42 am

Another one full of excuses here...

Just moved into a new flat so a lot of expense and lack of time has limited time for any hobby! Hopefully I'll be able to dive back into it soon!

Although I am enjoying following the progress of everyone else on here!
mattd10

Postby gbtrains » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:56 pm

Hi to all
Yep busy just been at work ,then the tea shifts for the home duties.

Just getting started in constructing trees for the Low Moor Layout so will up date that when i get the camera out again.
AS I am talking about the layouts ..I am getting Leeds Central in modern is now in Scarm program and it will be 12 foot by 3 foot if deciding to go along with it but track amount along will cost a jiffy.

boohoo Shapeways stuff costing a bit more now that the sterling pound has dropped.

take care all.

Also waiting for the paint to dry on the new class 158 dmu theses will be in the northern rail livery.
But are now onto the class 66 trying to paint them in the Freightliner green and yellow.

Does anyone know if you can get a better yellow other than humbrol as it is very weak and you have to re coat twice.

Regards
Graham
gbtrains

Postby msimister » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:32 am

I read the conversations on the site, most of which I find interesting and useful, but I don't often have anything useful to add. Like others, my time for modelling is limited and in recent months I suspect I've just done what others have already done, namely paint a BR Warship, a Class 25 and a Class 156 DMU. I do love this gauge and can imagine all sorts of wonderful layouts, if only I had the time (and the skills).

By way of some sort of contribution, a pic of all my stock is attached. The Crimson Lake red GWR parcels railcar is awaiting its chassis (one of the springs that hold the bogie to the frame came off and I couldn't find it so I'm waiting for the spare to arrive from Edinburgh) and I know that's not the right colour but it's not too far off and I like it. I also know the yellow line down the body side and that on the green railcar are too wide, but I don't think they look too bad. The green railcar should have 'whiskers' on the front too, but I haven't been game to try to paint them on yet. The Class 156 is supposed to be in Abellio Greater Anglia livery but I don't really like it and the red on the doors doesn't look right, so I'll repaint it at some stage. But the model I like least is the Class 108 DMU. Nothing wrong with the 3D printed model but I found the Humbrol BR blue paint very difficult to work with, a problem I've not had with other Humbrol colours. Maybe it is just a bad tin. Had similar issues with the Warship and Class 25 but they eventually came out better.

Next up is to 'finish' off my laptop box U shape 'layout' and then start on another layout with, I hope, enhanced skills and more scope to run the models.

Cheers,

Malcolm
Attachments
T gauge rolling stock.jpg
(62.58 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
msimister

Postby Reith01 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:22 pm

It's just the sheer time it takes to do anything as, all but rolling stock and some track, everything has to be scratchbuilt.

I can afford an average of an hour per day on this which isn't a lot considering what has to be done.
I scrapped my original layout - a fair bit of money lost in track but I did save the rail. The points went in the bin long ago.
I spent 6 weeks making a workable point. I need at least 3 on a new layout. Some of the problems are: steel rail, difficult to solder;
cutting hundreds of sleepers 1mmx7mm; keeping the gauge.

Then there's the matter of a few dozen street lamps.

So anyway it was giving me such a headache late last year that I turned to dioramas (which I can't show here because they're 1:150,
mostly around SanKei papercraft kits - if ONLY Sankei could reduce their (laser cut) kits to 1:450 I'd have a hay day as I'm
happy with Japanese outline).

I haven't yet decided whether to give up. I had looked to T Gauge as a chance to expand my electronics flair but my first effort failed.
After said "points" effort I decided to take a break. I really can't throw myself into another one straight away.

cheers,
Ivor
Reith01

Postby Bobbymo » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:19 pm

NeilM wrote:I have not been getting anywhere with my own layout (whats new!), but I have passed my time being busy in Google Sketchup. I now have 3 items of rolling stock almost ready to go (2x US, 1x UK). I am planning to have these released before the end of the week. Watch this space!

Will the US rolling stock be on your shapeways?
Rob
Bobbymo

Postby NeilM » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:17 pm

Rob,

Only just got to see this - have been without as laptop and have also been away - but hopefully you will have seen the US wagons in my shop now as I did add them before I went away. Both are available singly or as a pack of 3. As always, if you have a need of a different quantity then just ask.
Neil

T gauge items in my Shapeways shop http://www.shapeways.com/shops/t450
NeilM

Next

Return to T Gauge General Discussions