Board index Talking T Gauge Forum T Gauge General Discussions

The place for general discussions and requests for help on all matters relating to T gauge.

Just thinking out loud

Postby Nutter » Wed May 04, 2016 9:20 pm

I have seen talk on other forums about stay alive capacitors fitted to small loco's and just wondered if it is possible on a T Gauge piece of stock especially to provide that temp power over points.
Mike based on the Southern side of London

Posting most of the time from a mobile phone please excuse typos. Happy to spot potential problems that other people may have overlooked.
Nutter

Re: Just thinking out loud

Postby dkightley » Wed May 04, 2016 11:06 pm

One way would be for the first carriage to have power pick-up bogies and for each side to be electrically connected using very fine wires to the power unit...thus doubling the number of bogies picking up power.

This would not only give the now coupled power car and carriage a better chance of running through points, it would also improve the general running....

I think this may have been discussed before.....but I've no idea if anyone actually tried it!
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Postby mattd10 » Thu May 05, 2016 12:34 am

I see someone else reads the N gauge forum then ;) :lol: I think in principle it's a good idea, however I think continuous wiring in a multiple unit in T would be easier to accomplish. This, however, wouldn't work for a single loco/DMU but then would there be enough space without using surface mount components?
mattd10

Postby martink » Thu May 05, 2016 9:51 am

Alas, we only get decent slow running in T by using PWM. If you add a capacitor to the loco, you smooth this out and raise the voltage and speed to full. Even in larger scales, keep-alive circuits only work with DCC, where the power storage happens before the speed-control part of the decoder.

And Doug - I run my two-loco trains with the power units permanently wired together, and it really does help. Two days of exhibition running with frequent smooth stops and starts with nary a hiccup. Basically performance equivalent to the three separate power cars in the HST set.
martink

Return to T Gauge General Discussions