Board index Talking T Gauge Forum T Gauge General Discussions

The place for general discussions and requests for help on all matters relating to T gauge.

Joining Flexitrack

Postby Enterprise » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:47 pm

Great to see the forum! I see I'm very early to the party, but I'll just make myself comfortable: no hurry. Is it just a matter of enough practice, is there a trick or is it just me? New to T-Gauge I'm having trouble joining Flexitrack. Am cutting it the right way (across the track, both rails simultaneously) and using the miniscule screws carefully so as not to bend the sleepers, but there's still a bump at the join.
Enterprise

Re: Joining Flexitrack

Postby dkightley » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:26 pm

Silly question.....but are you using the flexi-joiners?: http://www.tgauge.com/product/18/3/flexitrack-joiners

I would have thought they would hold the rail in the same way as sectional track.
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Postby jesse6669 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:58 pm

I joined my flextrack in the following way: Use N-scale Code 55 joiners to hold the rails in alignment, and the solder. Beforehand, I removed a section of the crossties under the joint--3 or 4 of them--sand the tops, then slide back under the joint area once soldered. One thing to watch for with the flextrack is the tendency for it to twist longitudinally if it is bent into any kind of curve. It must be very, VERY securely attached to the roadbed and base or it will pull itself up.
jesse6669

Postby Enterprise » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:49 pm

dkightley wrote:Silly question.....but are you using the flexi-joiners?: http://www.tgauge.com/product/18/3/flexitrack-joiners

I would have thought they would hold the rail in the same way as sectional track.

Yes, I am. Maybe too many 'oops' connection attempts has caused some distortion.
Enterprise

Postby Enterprise » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:54 pm

jesse6669 wrote:I joined my flextrack in the following way: Use N-scale Code 55 joiners to hold the rails in alignment, and the solder. Beforehand, I removed a section of the crossties under the joint--3 or 4 of them--sand the tops, then slide back under the joint area once soldered. One thing to watch for with the flextrack is the tendency for it to twist longitudinally if it is bent into any kind of curve. It must be very, VERY securely attached to the roadbed and base or it will pull itself up.

Gosh. I think I need to lie down for a bit. Will try the above (yes, those longitudinal twists freaked me out, combined with a possibly over-anxious concern about the limits of soft iron.
Enterprise

Return to T Gauge General Discussions