Board index Talking T Gauge Forum T Gauge General Discussions

The place for general discussions and requests for help on all matters relating to T gauge.

SketchUp (and/or alternatives)

Postby JBModels » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:13 pm

Hey,

Today after updating my laptop to Windows 10 I realized that I've lost everything (SketchUp + the models I designed and the ones I was designing). 2-3 years ago I remember installing SketchUp free of cost. Now it seems there has been a change and there is only trials offered.

Have I missed something over these last 2-3 years? I'm pretty sure I did install SketchUp (full version) 2-3 years ago. I may be mistaken.

If not then is there any other easier alternatives to SketchUp? I really don't want to put my modelling to a stop and want to continue and soon offer it for sale.

Any help will be much appreciated.
LOL! Some people need a to think logically, or rather just have common sense!
JBModels

Re: SketchUp (and/or alternatives)

Postby ConnorL » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:24 pm

I made the same mistake upgrading to Windows 10, my autodesk inventor software no longer functions. I had to downgrade to Windows 8.1 to regain the functionality. Luckly my models were on the cloud otherwise they could gone missing.

I'm not sure, also make sure SketchUp is supported in Windows 10. I'm waiting till more software supports Windows 10.
ConnorL

Postby JBModels » Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:15 am

I feel horrid. Everything else is perfect. Just my work is all gone. Learning how to use a new software is daunting and it means a delay is bring out 3D prints for our community. I could however in the meantime step into brass etching kits for now.
JBModels

Postby JBModels » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:04 am

Got SketchUp back... got my old files back as well. I'm a happy bunny!!!!
JBModels

Postby dkightley » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:10 am

I'm glad you didn't lose any data....but this episode does hightlight the great importance of ensuring you have a resilient back-up regime to protect against such things as hardware failure, laptop theft....and even such a mundane thing as accidentally deleting one or more files.

I have a double back-up regime set up where all of my running data files are sycnhronised to an external drive on my network automatically on a daily basis...and backed up again on weekly basis to a drive stored eleswhere. I also keep my work files on a separate drive to my o/s and program files so should I have an o/s or drive failure (which I've actually never had ever!), I have a safe route for data and/or hardware recovery.

As to an easier alternative to Sketchup, I can't think of any, however there are several good CAD packages out there that don't cost an arm and a leg...and at least one free package, provided you're prepared to accept their idiosyncrasies.
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Postby JBModels » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:20 pm

I've got a simple way of saving stuff. After each 3D modelling session I just save it and also save a copy and email it to myself. In fact that's always been what I do. :P :P
JBModels

Postby ivanf » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:13 pm

you could take a look at google drive/dropbox etc...

they're automatic and will sync files between different computers...

also when a box dies, once you've installed dropbox etc on the new one all your files arrive.. eventually... :)
ivanf

Postby JBModels » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:34 am

Thanks Ivanf. Never had a clue that things like Dropbox existed. Very much useful....
JBModels

Return to T Gauge General Discussions