Board index Talking T Gauge Forum T Gauge General Discussions

The place for general discussions and requests for help on all matters relating to T gauge.

Problem with Sketchup?

Postby JBModels » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:43 am

Hi,

I've always had the habit of designing my models in 1:1 scale and after it's done I usually scale it down to the desired scale. However of late I started to feel that SketchUp isn't T-gauge friendly. Almost all models I have worked on when scaled down to 1:450 suddenly have a ton of missing surfaces.

Has anyone else faced this? It's almost impossible to create curved surfaces without them disappearing.

Any advice on how I can scale down the parts?

Cheers!
JBModels.
LOL! Some people need a to think logically, or rather just have common sense!
JBModels

Re: Problem with Sketchup?

Postby NeilM » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:43 pm

Yes, this does happen! And very annoying it is too.

One way to try and minimise this is to limit the number of places where a circle, or an arc, cross a straight line at anything other that 3,6,9 or 12 when you image the circle as a clock face.

You can try and work at actual size, but this is limited by the circle tool not working at small sizes, and also some surfaces may just start to disappear anyway.

I am experimenting with a method I found on a forum which used a model that is turned into a component, then copied, then the copy increase x10 or x100. Id you then work on the copy the changes all happen to the original as well. A complicated way to do things, but it does seem to be working for me when I did try it. If it continues to do so I could send you a more detailed explanation.
Neil

T gauge items in my Shapeways shop http://www.shapeways.com/shops/t450
NeilM

Postby mattd10 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:15 pm

Yeah, unfortunately this happens all the time when scaling down. These days I do my drawings at 1:45 scale so I'm only scaling down by a factor of 10 which works better and tends to keep the curves better.

Neil, your idea sounds interesting...do you have to link them or anything to do that? I may have a play later!
mattd10

Postby JBModels » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:12 am

I'd like a like to that topic or if you can please or elaborate on it...?

Cheers!
JBModels.
JBModels

Postby NeilM » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:07 pm

I have just seen a number of posts on the Sketchup forum which seem to agree on the fact that there is no certain way to prevent holes appearing in your model, basically all boiling down to 'it depends.....'!

The method which I used made use of components in a way I had not realised that you could - I thought that all instances of a component were exactly the same, but this is not true, and this method makes use of it.

1. Start you model to the actual size you want it to print at, but only to an early stage with no curves. A flat rectangle could be all that is needed at this stage, although a more complex model made up of only rectangles and lines would be OK.

2. Select the whole model and convert to a component.

3. This is the cleaver bit. Select the component with just a single click (not the multiple click you would use to edit it)

4. Select the move tool, drag the model to the side, tap the control key to duplicate it, and click to set the position.

5. With the new copy still selected click the scale tool and drag the copy to 10x, 100x or whatever you want to work with.

6. Click away from the copy, then multiple click to edit. Now you will do all the work on the enlarged copy of you model. Because it is a component copy of the original then all the changes you make here will be reflected in the actual size original - hopefully with no holes forming!

7. Once editing is complete you can select the enlarged copy (single click) and delete it, leaving only the original size model with all the edits you have made.
Neil

NeilM

Postby NeilM » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:11 am

Just one thing I realised that I had missed out from the above;

You can keep the model as a component, and send it to Shapways as such. I say this because using the explode command to cancel the component and return it to a normal model is one of the actions that can (sometimes...depending...!) cause holes to appear, at least it has done for me at least once in the past.
Neil

NeilM

Postby mattd10 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:28 pm

Finally got round to trying this and it's amazing! Thanks for sharing Neil, it's sure going to make my life a lot easier in the future!

Matt
mattd10

Postby JBModels » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:20 am

Thanks Neil!
JBModels

Return to T Gauge General Discussions