•   
  • Talking T Gauge Shop
    Your online shop for T gauge locomotives, rolling stock and scenery items. Buy for your layout...and support the forum at the same time!

Board index Talking T Gauge Forum T Gauge General Discussions

The place for general discussions and requests for help on all matters relating to T gauge.

Re: dcc (again) tiny decoder.

Postby SmallCentral » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:55 pm

I do not have time for hobbies for the moment but I tried this decoder five months ago succesfully.
it's perfect for a 23m frame. I 'm working on a circuit board to add the lights. I forgot ... that's for a Budd RDC1.

DSCN1384_resized.JPG
(96.92 KiB) Downloaded 10 times

DSCN1396_resized.JPG
(116.6 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
Last edited by SmallCentral on Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:19 pm, edited 5 times in total.
SmallCentral

Postby caitlin » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:57 pm

Whoops, I bought a tiny tiny train.
caitlin

Postby caitlin » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:51 pm

And thanks to the confidence SmallCentral has put in me I've grabbed a tiny tiny dcc decoder.
I didn't get it from digitrains in the end because of the friction they create by insisting on website registration and an implication that they'll only ship to a cardholders address.

It may yet prove a mistake, but I've ordered it from coastaldcc who took paypal and appear to be able to post things to my office with abandon.

If I can work out what track design software to use with osx and sort out a dcc encoder and booster to work with that java thing then I'm home free except for a lot of card, foam, flock and muttering :D

Thanks for such a warm welcome to this site and the awesome advice you guys have given me so far.
caitlin

Postby SmallCentral » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:59 pm

Your welcome ;) It's possible , not easy , but possible 8-)
SmallCentral

Postby caitlin » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:37 pm

SmallCentral: What's the small component you have in series with the orange wire?
Is that anything to do with controlling the voltage to the motor?

I plan to run my rails at 12v and protect the motor either with voltage dividing or limiting the length of the pwm, assuming 10v would only ever reach the motorwires after losses, and hope that the effective emf the motor sees never really gets above 5v.
caitlin

Postby SmallCentral » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:38 pm

It's just a resistor :!: With my Digitrax Central DCS50 , I have 14v out :shock:
Not friendly with the T gauge :mrgreen:
SmallCentral

Postby caitlin » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:05 pm

What value did you go for? Do you actually run that chassis much at 14v on the rails? I gathered before this thread that I was trailblazing, but knowing now that you've done some of the work already I'd dearly love to know your numbers to speed up my sciencing (and reduce expensive messed up motors!)
caitlin

Postby caitlin » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:27 pm

The dcc board is a pretty neat fit actually:

That would functionally go in there if the lighting board were ditched and the leads re-soldered to leave the board at 90 degrees rather than in the plane of it.
I think it can fit in a few other orientations also.

I don't know if i can replace the lighting board with the functions on the dcc controller or not but time may tell...
caitlin

Postby mattd10 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:40 pm

Looks great!! I'm not famililar with the ICE units but is there any way of having the decoder in a trailing coach and run the wires through either via a micro socket or just having them permanently coupled together?

I look forward to hearing how you get on...could pave the way for DCC control in T!
mattd10

Postby caitlin » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:46 pm

I'm not convinced I yet understand how dcc works with multiheaded trains and I think that one of the carriages in my 8 car ICE train (which survived about 10 mins before being cracked open, poor thing) is a stealth tractor unit.

I'd either need to wire three motors together on a single dcc controller and never be able to unhook a train, or it is a £30 decoder per tractor unit and if they WILL fit in then they should because that's just neater. £90 to digitise one train is a bit "ugh" though.

I need to get some assistive tools to hold the chassis, a magnifier and a *much* smaller soldering tip for my iron and I think I can get this all rigged into that ICE unit.
caitlin

PreviousNext

Return to T Gauge General Discussions