Board index Talking T Gauge Forum T Gauge General Discussions

The place for general discussions and requests for help on all matters relating to T gauge.

Would it be possible to have a new range of chassis?

Postby JBModels » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:56 am

Hi,

After reading through Connor's topic regarding the SD70 model, I must admit I was blown away. He seems to have literally designed exactly what I had in mind and needed i.e. a CO-CO chassis that can fit into a narrow body diesel. Most of the models that I plan on making are CO-CO locos and are diesels with narrow bodies. However I've heard there was a slight issue with the mechanism though from what I saw I think it was pretty good.

I was just wondering if it would be worth it to actually have a small range of custom made chassis developed by a professional company like Hollywood Foundry or BullAnt?

They have been making motorized bogies and chassis for years so they have the experience when it comes to things like gearing etc. The parts as we saw in Connor's thread are also available in the market. So I'm just looking out for opinions about this?

I think 3 chassis would be a great start - BO-BO, CO-CO and CO-CO (offset axels)

LINK https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

So any comments or suggestions? I think it would be a development that is worth it. And it will open up the opportunity to model a whole lot of models.

Cheers
JBModels
LOL! Some people need a to think logically, or rather just have common sense!
JBModels

Re: Would it be possible to have a new range of chassis?

Postby GibbModels » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:51 pm

Yes! I need a CO-CO chassis for my '66'! This would be a great idea!
I run TStandsForTrains over on YouTube @ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2SiEh ... A/featured
GibbModels

Postby mattinair » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:25 pm

I just want a choo choo train (big wheels round tank) ......."finished" box cars.......bulldozers, backhoes etc.....caboose!.......
mattinair

Postby JBModels » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:26 pm

I was really impressed by Connor's attempt at a steam loco. I cannot wait till he makes progress on that. I have managed to get in touch with him and hope to have some nice drive systems developed.

Cheers!
JBModels
JBModels

Postby JBModels » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:41 am

Further along in what I am trying to visualize and conceptualize for a set of T gauge chassis. My initial concepts for the custom BO-BO, CO-CO and Offset CO-CO drive systems.
Featured below is a CO-CO variant. I've thought of 2 mechanisms, one is a belt drive and another is a gear drive (originally designed and tested by ConnorL). I've simply improved on the chassis by devising a method to make an adjustable chassis.
If anyone has any comments please do share them.

Cheers,
JBModels
JBModels

Postby henningz » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:53 am

Hi JBModels :)

you're presenting a lot of good ideas, but I'm quite sure that you do not realise, that you're in "T" which is 1:450. Your "belt" would be 0.5 mm (millimeters, not inches) wide, your "gear tower" would have to be a cube with an edge length of 2 or 3 mm.

Please have a look at the overall and detailed dimensions of "T" here: tinyt-gaugetrains.blogspot.co.uk
printed on 100 percent recycled electrons
henningz

Location: Barsinghausen (It's near Hanover), Lower Saxony, Germany

Postby JBModels » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:55 am

I'm sorry, I know what T gauge is. They are just ideas and not something that I've shoved money out for, why do you think I made 2? The belt may not be useful for T gauge, but it's a possibility for narrow gauge trains using T gauge track.

Cheers,
JBModels.
JBModels

Postby mattinair » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:56 am

I had an O ring from a micro heli which would make an excellent belt.....of course I can't find it right now. Here's a crude slice of rubber tube
DSCN0856_01.JPG
DSCN0856_01.JPG (147.98 KiB) Viewed 12172 times
....looking at almost any wrist-watch of the last hundred or so years would suggest the mechanics of 1/450 scale is not the problem.....it's the marketing of it in a profitable manner.....how many people would spend hundreds of dollars on one loco......I know I would for one of those things (you know, with a cylindrical tank and big wheels ....cute colors etc).....T gauge really needs people like you....keep it up
mattinair

Postby JBModels » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:12 am

Thank you so much much for those very encouraging and very kind words mattinair. Indeed small micro belts aren't out of reach. They have been used in watches and so were micro gears.

Cheers!
JBModels.
JBModels

Postby mattd10 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:25 pm

This is a very ambitious project and I wish you the best of luck with it. Having tried to modify a 103 unit a little while back I know how difficult this will be.
mattd10

Next

Return to T Gauge General Discussions