Board index Talking T Gauge Forum T Gauge General Discussions

The place for general discussions and requests for help on all matters relating to T gauge.

Newbie here and a CO-CO chassis?

Postby JBModels » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:14 pm

Hey guys,

I'm basically a new comer to T gauge. I do have a small collection of OO scale stuff, but T is something brand new. I've known about T gauge for more than a year now. My friend in Bangalore is actually a distributor of T gauge stuff via trainaidsa.in so that's how I came to know about T gauge.

When I first saw T gauge models I immediately checked out reviews on YouTube. I realized that the Japanese sets aren't as optimized as say the German and British offering. Atleast from the reviews I concluded that the Japanese models only run at one speed and therefore it basically goes forward-stop-backward. There is no speed control.

However I have heard that the HST and ICE models do have speed control. This gave me a bit of hope.

I'm here to seek some advice. I want to start off with T gauge, however I want to make my own models as I do indeed design models. I have a whole list of models that I'd love to recreate. However almost all of them are CO-CO models and almost all CO-CO models are narrow body diesels. So I am hoping you guys can help me out. Is there a CO-CO chassis available? Something that suits a narrow bodied diesel.

I do plan on starting up and selling T gauge models, I've got a list of models I'd love to make and I'll post about that later.

Cheers!
JBModels.
LOL! Some people need a to think logically, or rather just have common sense!
JBModels

Re: Newbie here and a CO-CO chassis?

Postby mattd10 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:46 pm

Firstly, welcome to the forum and the world of T!

The Japanese stuff you mention is most likely the older first generation stuff. Everything is produced by the same manufacturer (the railway shop) and then distributed accordingly. The latest power units with the PWM controllers give excellent slow speed running.

There is a co-co chassis in development. In the past people used stick on frames to simulate this (see some products on the tgauge.com website) but this should be a thing of the past fairly soon.

When you say a narrow bodied diesel, what are you referring to? The motors take up a fair portion of the model and there's not a lot of room to make space. The alternative for this is a dummy locomotive with a powered coach behind.

Hopefully this helps and I'm sure others will offer up advice too!
mattd10

Postby ivanf » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:06 pm

there was a picture of a co-co chassis on facebook a while back... it looked like it was a regular chassis with an extra wheel bolted on the end of each bogie...

it's possible to extend chassis by 3d printing a replacement part for the bit the non driving bogie sits on so it doesn't really matter which.

no idea when it will be available though...

anwyay... welcome to T. :)
ivanf

Postby JBModels » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:37 am

mattd10 wrote:Firstly, welcome to the forum and the world of T!

The latest power units with the PWM controllers give excellent slow speed running.

There is a co-co chassis in development. In the past people used stick on frames to simulate this (see some products on the tgauge.com website) but this should be a thing of the past fairly soon.

When you say a narrow bodied diesel, what are you referring to? The motors take up a fair portion of the model and there's not a lot of room to make space. The alternative for this is a dummy locomotive with a powered coach behind.

Hopefully this helps and I'm sure others will offer up advice too!

Hi mattd10,

Thanks for the warm welcome, and a hearty thanks for the clarification on the speed and controllers. Just out of interest, do you know how I can clarify if the sets are old or the newer ones? My friend in Bangalore has T gauge stuff, but it looked like a train pack, didn't see a controller (unless it's sold separately or has a separate box) to distinguish it.

By narrow bodied diesels, I was referring to some that I have on my list to model in T gauge:-
- SD70ACS (Etihad Rail)
- Class 70 (Freightliner)
- WDM2, WDM3A (Indian Railways)
- WDM3D (Indian Railways)
- WDG3A (Indian Railways)
- WDP4, WDP4B, WDP4D, WDG4, WDG4D (Indian Railways)
- AGE30 (Pakistan Railways)

As of now my plan is to use dummy locos with a powered coach. The plan was to include all diesels as part of a train set. A semi-permanently coupled rake with an option to add more coach packs.

Thanks for the reply.
JBModels

Postby JBModels » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:41 am

ivanf wrote:there was a picture of a co-co chassis on facebook a while back... it looked like it was a regular chassis with an extra wheel bolted on the end of each bogie...

it's possible to extend chassis by 3d printing a replacement part for the bit the non driving bogie sits on so it doesn't really matter which.

no idea when it will be available though...

anwyay... welcome to T. :)

Hi ivanf,

If you or anyother members do recall the link or page where that was posted I'd love to see it. My initial plan for CO-CO locos that aren't narrow bodies, I was going to use a BO-BO chassis with a split bogie glued onto either end.

I do hope the CO-CO chassis becomes available soon. I cannot for the life of me figure out why a CO-CO chassis doen't exist. A large percentage of locos are indeed CO-CO and many narrow bodies as well.

Cheers!
JBModels
JBModels

Postby mattd10 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:12 am

I'm not sure how to tell the difference between the generations, as for the most part it's just a new gen motor that's added. The original JR 103 4 car sets are 1st gen and very problematic. Most sets after perform a lot better.

Here is a picture from the tgauge.com Facebook page (well worth a look) of the co-co chassis. All picture credits to Alan at tgauge.com

Hope this helps!
mattd10

Postby NeilM » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:57 am

JBModels wrote:By narrow bodied diesels, I was referring to some that I have on my list to model in T gauge:-
- SD70ACS (Etihad Rail)

For the narrow hood diesels I think that you may be out of luck as regards fitting them over the current chassis. There has been a narrow hood diesel body produced in the past (GP7/GP9?) but that was made over width to fit the avaialable chassis. Another member of the forum was looking at producing a diesel body and concluded that to keep it to scale it could only be a dummy. I do not think he ever got round to doing the loco, but he did design a boxcar body to fit over a standard chassis that could be used to power such a loco if built.
Neil

T gauge items in my Shapeways shop http://www.shapeways.com/shops/t450
NeilM

Postby JBModels » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:54 pm

mattd10 wrote:I'm not sure how to tell the difference between the generations, as for the most part it's just a new gen motor that's added. The original JR 103 4 car sets are 1st gen and very problematic. Most sets after perform a lot better.

Here is a picture from the tgauge.com Facebook page (well worth a look) of the co-co chassis. All picture credits to Alan at tgauge.com

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Found them on facebook, looks lovely. I shall wait eagerly for this.

Cheers!
JBModels.
JBModels

Postby JBModels » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:02 pm

NeilM wrote:

For the narrow hood diesels I think that you may be out of luck as regards fitting them over the current chassis. There has been a narrow hood diesel body produced in the past (GP7/GP9?) but that was made over width to fit the avaialable chassis. Another member of the forum was looking at producing a diesel body and concluded that to keep it to scale it could only be a dummy. I do not think he ever got round to doing the loco, but he did design a boxcar body to fit over a standard chassis that could be used to power such a loco if built.[/quote]

Well obviously not the good news I wanted to hear. Well I did come across a thread by ConnorL who seem to have made some great advances in a working SD70. I haven't gone through the entire thread, so lets see about that.
JBModels

Return to T Gauge General Discussions