Board index Talking T Gauge Forum T Gauge General Discussions

The place for general discussions and requests for help on all matters relating to T gauge.

Re: Where is T at?

Postby mattinair » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:08 pm

Reading about people being frustrated to the point of giv'n up....depressing. But there's a real pitch to be made for T gauge......Toy trains are one of the oldest mechanical toys. And still one of the most popular with MANY MILLIONS of users. But when my son in law set up a standard Lionel loop around the Xmass tree(beautiful thing with amazing sound effects) the kids reaction was like "neat"....Their generation has been surrounded by NOISY BLINK"N computerized mechanical toys literally since infancy..........3 weeks ago I took my very VERY far from finished layout down to show the kids (a big PLUS for T gauge>The whole thing is only 2'6" X 3'6" and weighs 5.4 pounds)....There were actual squeals of delight. One neighbor kid cried when I had to head home....Several parents were quite interested as well...There's almost a primal reaction..."it's so small"
DSCN0766_01.JPG
DSCN0766_01.JPG (335.37 KiB) Viewed 11710 times

If some one does spend a couple a million to put something out there similar to what Marklin did with Z gauge the numbers appear to crunch positive..
mattinair

Postby barneyadi » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:09 pm

Hearing people feel it is here to stay is good. Have a layout plan which I think is perfect for T gauge and will post in layouts tonight hopefully. Would love a point I could change with a flick of a switch. Have noticed a video from T gauge.com where they were using the sensor to change the point. That would be all I want. Quite happy to work with what is out there and use 3D as and when needed.
barneyadi

Postby mattinair » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:55 pm

My control panel is still in the mock up stage... but it's working great.
tamvalleydepot.com has all the stuff needed to electrify T gauge switches.......push buttons with colored led indicators>
DSCN0780_01.JPG
DSCN0780_01.JPG (269.79 KiB) Viewed 11711 times
from the back
DSCN0787_01.JPG
DSCN0787_01.JPG (345.85 KiB) Viewed 11711 times
>>controllers
DSCN0782_01.JPG
DSCN0782_01.JPG (329.56 KiB) Viewed 11711 times
>>> and servos
DSCN0781_01.JPG
DSCN0781_01.JPG (266.61 KiB) Viewed 11711 times
I mounted the servos so they could be removed from the back with out disturbing the switch.
hope this helps.
mattinair

Postby Nutter » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:36 pm

I have to ask what exactly do you want to get out of your T gauge layout?
I appreciate that there is not a lot of RTR stock but as has been mentioned, the physical size is also a big factor especially with varying sizes of locomotives - small 4 or 6 wheeled stock etc. will be very light. People are doing great stuff but some effort has to be put in by the end user to make the best of what people are producing - often in their spate time - to make it work.
I personally came to T gauge via Z gauge and N gauge. I have had a spell modelling Narrow gauge in several scales so am quite happy modifying and scratch building stuff.
I know the points /switches depending on your location leave a lot to be desired bit truthfully I think the scale is better suited to continuous tracks unless you are prepared to think outside the RTR limits.

Sorry if I've rambled on but just look at what has been achieved with what we have.
Mike
DON'T knock it at least I am trying to do something, with only one good hand.
Nutter

Postby barneyadi » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:27 pm

Nutter wrote:I have to ask what exactly do you want to get out of your T gauge layout?
I appreciate that there is not a lot of RTR stock but as has been mentioned, the physical size is also a big factor especially with varying sizes of locomotives - small 4 or 6 wheeled stock etc. will be very light. People are doing great stuff but some effort has to be put in by the end user to make the best of what people are producing - often in their spate time - to make it work.
I personally came to T gauge via Z gauge and N gauge. I have had a spell modelling Narrow gauge in several scales so am quite happy modifying and scratch building stuff.
I know the points /switches depending on your location leave a lot to be desired bit truthfully I think the scale is better suited to continuous tracks unless you are prepared to think outside the RTR limits.

Sorry if I've rambled on but just look at what has been achieved with what we have.

Well my main things is to see trains run, so have decided T gauge is way to go. The painting of the 3d stuff always worries me but hopefully with practice I can get it to an acceptable standard for me. The vinyls you can get will also help, especially the 158 graphics as they ran on the settle-Carlisle line. Will not be many points on the layout but if I could find a way to control even 1 or 2 by switch or something would be nice.
barneyadi

Postby mattinair » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:39 pm

Neat!.....3 x 9 feet in T..........positively monumental!
mattinair

Postby dkightley » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:24 pm

Will not be many points on the layout but if I could find a way to control even 1 or 2 by switch or something would be nice.

Been there....done that!! ;)
http://www.talkingtgauge.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=24&p=231&hilit=points+cable#p231
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Postby barneyadi » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:22 pm

dkightley wrote:
Will not be many points on the layout but if I could find a way to control even 1 or 2 by switch or something would be nice.

Been there....done that!! ;)
http://www.talkingtgauge.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=24&p=231&hilit=points+cable#p231

Perfect, gives me something to work with.
barneyadi

Postby mrwrail » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:50 pm

barneyadi wrote: Well my main things is to see trains run, so have decided T gauge is way to go...

Funny how we both have the same objective (to see trains run) but have come to a different conclusion about T gauge! :D I'd love to have trains (plural!) to run, but with only one RTR UK train available I may have to reset my objective to "to see train run" haha.

However on a positive note I have ordered some 153 and 313 vinyls from Electra so fingers crossed I may have a few more trains to run soon...we shall see :)
mrwrail

Postby hank55 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:59 pm

Hi folks,
greetings from Czechia.

I am just entering a similar life period like someone above me: Having had freshly retired equals in my case having more spare money than spare health and remaining lifetime...

I have just registered here being not a railway modelling beginner. During last 50 years I had built and then from various reasons dismantled four layouts, three in TT gauge 1:120 - quite popular here in central Europe - and one in N gauge... Besides building a new TT layout and a small automated N diorama I am considering to try something in T-gauge to get a small layout with long trainsets in a large landscape. I must admit I am none too much skilled rolling stock builder but I have another modelling experience - with paper. Working in this gauge we can never be what we here in Czechia call "rivet counters" and I think the most important thing is an overall impression. And for this purpopse paper may be an ideal material.

Here in Czechia are crowds of guys (even a couple gals ;) ) making paper miniatures in scales around 1:300. Look for example here:
http://doprava.unas.cz/pages/modely.html
I tried to print out some 1:300 items scaled down to 67% on an ordinary ink-jet printer onto ordinary 80 gsm copy paper. I got something like this:

840_RS1_Tgauge.jpg
840_RS1_Tgauge.jpg (158.32 KiB) Viewed 11708 times

It is a Czech Railways Class 840/841 railbus, the German Stadler made Regioshuttle type RS1. Diameter of the coin in the front is 20 mm, the paper shell after cutting the bogies away should match to the Eishindo 23 m motorised chassis.

I see more advantages: You can print out almost for free a plenty of items and use them to simply "change clothes" of your rolling stock. You may be - like me - a modelling duffer. And a choice of Bo Bo real Czech(oslovak) rolling stock compared to a choice of the T-gauge motorised chassis (16 - 19 - 21 - 23 m long) covers almost all the real Czech(oslovak) regional lines rolling stock since 1960s until now.

Anyway I have already decided to start up. As soon as I purchase tracks and chassis I will come back to show you more. In the meantime I would like to learn your opinions on using the printed paper shells in the described way.

Well... and... yes: What about Co Co chassis 17,5 - 18 m long? It would help a lot...
hank55

PreviousNext

Return to T Gauge General Discussions