Board index Talking T Gauge Forum T Gauge General Discussions

The place for general discussions and requests for help on all matters relating to T gauge.

Would you like to be able to view members's Shapeways products here on TalkingTGauge?

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes : 15

New Shapeways feature.....

Postby dkightley » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:45 pm

I've just had notification of a new feature that Shapeways have announced....which is to allow the embedding of a product into a web page on another site.

With the introduction of this feature, I'm thinking about setting up a Shapeways shop section in the forum, where members will be able to put together a mirror of their Shapeways shop by creating a set of image widgets. My thoughts are to make this a free service initially, however if it takes off big style, then I'll introduce a small advertising fee to go towards the running of the site.

So I can determine the interest in such an idea, I'm creating a poll on this thread. Please provide feedback.
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Re: New Shapeways feature.....

Postby mattd10 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:42 pm

I think it's a great idea! I also think a very small fee (maybe based on number of clicks or similar) is reasonable. Only thing is if there is a fee involved what's the difference between having an image widget in the shop section and just posting a link in a thread saying "here's my new product" which is completely free. Seems like a way around it....
mattd10

Postby dkightley » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:17 pm

Here is an example of how an entry would look:

It would be possible to add a "BUY" button to the widget. Like this:

Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Postby ConnorL » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:41 pm

I think that feature is pretty cool, I agree with matt that we could experiment with this function to see if it is successfully attracting users.
ConnorL

Postby dkightley » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:48 pm

To answer the two points so far....
mattd10 wrote:Only thing is if there is a fee involved what's the difference between having an image widget in the shop section and just posting a link in a thread saying "here's my new product" which is completely free.

The intention is to have a well marked "Shop" area that only members who have "registered" to contribute to. I don't intend stopping the "Get it here..." in posts, which will become hard to find as time goes by. But the "Shop" will be easy to browse through.
connorl wrote: to see if it is successfully attracting users.

Exactly! Anything to encourage new people to the hobby is always good.

And as of yet, I'm not sure what the difference is between having the "BUY" button or not is. Could someone experiment, please. As its my own model, I get sent to a "This is what your customers would see." page.
Doug Kightley
dkightley

Postby mattd10 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:30 pm

dkightley wrote:I'm not sure what the difference is between having the "BUY" button or not is. Could someone experiment, please. As its my own model, I get sent to a "This is what your customers would see." page.

No difference that I can see....just goes to the product page! I assumed it would automatically add it to basket, but apparently not!
mattd10

Postby Ozrail » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:43 am

I like the idea. :)
Just not to sure on the fee, based on what Matt has already commented.
Check out my Shapeways store for T-gauge stuff.
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/everythingtgauge?s=0
Ozrail

Postby msimister » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:02 am

Does anyone know the trick in Shapeways of what search brings up all T gauge stuff and no N, Z and other gauges, and how to get all of a particular designer's stuff to come up? I get all sorts when I search and sometimes can't find some things again no matter what I put in the search box.

Thanks in anticipation,
Malcolm
msimister

Postby rvn2001 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:35 am

Hi Malcolm,

I don't know of any foolproof search that only displays T scale/gauge stuff. You can see all of a designers stuff by clicking on "Visit Shop" up near the designer's name. The best way to keep track of things you want to find again is to click on either "Favorite" or "Wishlist" located right under the "Buy Now" button. Then any time you log in you can move your cursor over the little smiley face in the upper right corner and a list of places to go will drop down. Just click on "Favorites & Wishlist" and you'll be able to see everything you've saved. I hope this makes things a little easier for you.
Thom Welsch
rvn2001

Postby msimister » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:12 am

Thanks Thom; appreciate your help.

Malcolm
msimister

Next

Return to T Gauge General Discussions