Board index Talking T Gauge Forum T Gauge General Discussions

The place for general discussions and requests for help on all matters relating to T gauge.

Honest opinion on electric points/switches

Postby Nutter » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:45 pm

Before I splash out and buy a couple I would like peoples honest opinions on how good they are.
Mike
DON'T knock it at least I am trying to do something, with only one good hand.
Nutter

Re: Honest opinion on electric points/switches

Postby dkightley » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:52 pm

I've not seen these points in the flesh....and have never considered looking at them....for one simple reason. That is, the only difference I can see between them (other than the price) is that instead of doing the "hand of God" thing to change the point, you just have to connect a wire or flip a switch.

From what I can see on the illustrations/pictures, the mechanical design and construction of the bit that matters...the pointwork…….is exactly the same on both versions of the points. There is still the 3/4 inch dead spot that would cut power to short wheelbase power units....and reduces the power pickup potential from four down to two axles for far too long, meaning that trains have to be run at multiples of scale speed to negotiate the points without stopping completely.

My apologies to anyone who believes I'm being too harsh on this subject. It is well known that this inadequacy is one of the main contributors to T gauge not gaining (or even maintaining) popularity. I've been told that hundreds of times at shows I have attended (all 21 of them!).
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Return to T Gauge General Discussions