Board index Talking T Gauge Forum T Gauge General Discussions

The place for general discussions and requests for help on all matters relating to T gauge.

Automatic control. Ideas needed!

Postby Nutter » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:07 pm

Thinking single track with a passing loop but don't want to go with the large detectors (as the loop would be at the front with no way of hiding them) from Alan.
Idea is train 1 runs clockwise and stops in the loop for train 2 to do a circuit anti clockwise. Also to use a timer from the micro to switch lights on and off in buildings.
I know others are currently looking at ideas. Happy to use a raspberry Pi Zero or Arduino if someone else can work out the software/interfaces needed.
Physical wiring/assembly would not be a major problem.
Please note this is just in the ideas section of my plans for a T Gauge layout.
Mike
DON'T knock it at least I am trying to do something, with only one good hand.
Nutter

Re: Automatic control. Ideas needed!

Postby martink » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:59 pm

Automation is not simple - no matter how you do it, there is a lot of fiddly design, construction, testing and swearing involved.

The closest thing to an off-the-shelf solution that I am aware of is a range of modules from Heathcote Electronics. These are designed for larger scales, but you might want to talk to them about using them for T gauge. Three obvious problems that occur to me and that would be worth mentioning are the track voltage (4.5V instead of 12V), detectors (I don't know how well they would work with our tiny trains), and point operation (either servos or the one-way points).

Try: https://www.heathcote-electronics.co.uk ... SSING-LOOP
martink

Postby mattd10 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:38 pm

Got to agree here. I've got myself an arduino and am very very slowly trying to learn to program it to do some very basic automation.

The easiest way I can think of is to have it switch power on and off to sections using relays, but this is very rudimentary and there are plenty of commercial options out there which do this sort of thing (and more).

A quick google of "model railway control arduino" brings up plenty of sites and forums of people who have all done it and are happy to share their code. But in those instances it may not perform as you want. I'm going to keep going with my plans and share progress as it comes, but it certainly won't be any time soon!
mattd10

Postby Nutter » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:03 pm

mattd10 wrote:Got to agree here. I've got myself an arduino and am very very slowly trying to learn to program it to do some very basic automation.

The easiest way I can think of is to have it switch power on and off to sections using relays, but this is very rudimentary and there are plenty of commercial options out there which do this sort of thing (and more).

A quick google of "model railway control arduino" brings up plenty of sites and forums of people who have all done it and are happy to share their code. But in those instances it may not perform as you want. I'm going to keep going with my plans and share progress as it comes, but it certainly won't be any time soon!

Cheers Matt, may go the simple route and just buy Alan's set up without using the sensors and controller. Must admit the fact we use steel rain and the small scale/voltages etc are putting me off building stuff.
Mike
DON'T knock it at least I am trying to do something, with only one good hand.
Nutter

Return to T Gauge General Discussions