Board index Talking T Gauge Forum T Gauge General Discussions

The place for general discussions and requests for help on all matters relating to T gauge.

Newbie Questions

Postby Cretantman » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:19 pm

Newbie Questions:

Hi All…

A couple of dumb questions if you don’t mind.
How do you weather T gauge track?
Or maybe this should be ‘What is the best way to weather T gauge track’?

Also, a related question:
Weathering ballast – while doing the track or separately?
Best method?

Maybe these questions have been answered elsewhere. If so, just point me in the right direction!

Not used any of these Forum things before and this is all new, so please bear with me . . .

The plan was to build a briefcase layout but these ‘camera-type’ cases are expensive and trying to find one out here would be difficult. So a similar sized (420mm x 290mm) layout is being made, basically a double oval, and this will now be housed under a Perspex cover so as to keep dust and little fingers off.

Thanks in advance.

Dick…
Cretantman

Re: Newbie Questions

Postby dkightley » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:49 am

Welcome to the forum, Dick....

Firstly...I've moved your post from the Admin section to the General Discussion section. Unlike social media sites, forums have sections in which threads with similar subjects can be held. This allows for threads to be found much easier...and they don't get lost amongst other things!!! When you start your next thread, simply start from within the appropriate section....no a problem if you start in the wrong place, it's no hassle to move to the right place.

On the subject of weathering track, there's likely to be several ways of doing it...and for the rails, I'd paint the sides before laying up to clear of where the rail joins...and then cover the joints afterwards. Any paint on the rail head can be polished off with 2500 grit paper. For ballast, I would use watered down acrylic paint direct onto the ballasted track after it has hardened.

Do bear in mind that due to the small size of the scale, you don't have to go to town on the fine detail. I painted every sleeper on my first layout..which was made up of the fixed section track...and ballasted up to sleeper level. On The Bridge, I didn't ballast the track at all....as I had ran out of time getting it ready for its first show....and hardly anyone has noticed the lack of ballast!
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Re: Newbie Questions

Postby Cretantman » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:44 pm

Thanks Doug...

Have loads of acrylic paint (one of my other hobbies) so should be ok.

Sorry about posting the question to the wrong page - as I say, we are not used to any of this!

Thanks again...

Dick...
Cretantman

Return to T Gauge General Discussions