Board index Talking T Gauge Forum T Gauge General Discussions

The place for general discussions and requests for help on all matters relating to T gauge.

Re: Where has everybody gone?

Postby davidmatthewson » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:50 pm

Still here and I agree with Doug that the longevity of a proper forum is a great advantage over FB - but to be fair FB has advantages too - good for mobile devices, easy upload of photos etc - I suggest we need both really.

Now has anyone got any advice about this:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/109022-dcc-arduino-based-dcc-controller/

I've seen a few demos of DCC with T ... so any advice pls?

Thanks

David
davidmatthewson

Postby dkightley » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:01 pm

If you're serious about taking a look at DCC and wanting to DiY rather than buy a ready to run DCC system.....then my advice would be to consider joining MERG...Model Electronics Railway Group. There's an active forum where all sorts of things are going on. I joined a few months ago.....and I've got several of their DCC kits built ready for when I hopefully get the DCC decoders I have on order.

The only down side is that there's an annual membership...and a joining fee. These may spike the pocket at the beginning....but its probably money well spent if you're serious.

Take a look at the public side of their website: https://www.merg.org.uk/
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Postby davidmatthewson » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:19 am

Thanks Doug... and btw, concerning 'quiet in here' - is it possible for his forum software to send digests or email alerts when a topic has been added to or a message reply to? I know from other sites this helps keep the flow of traffic up...

best wishes

David
davidmatthewson

Postby dkightley » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:14 pm

David. I've just enabled the "Subscribe" facility.....for both forums and threads.

At the bottom of the Forum or thread listing page, there is a view-only tick box with a clickable message either "Subscribe" or "Unsubscribe". Click Subscribe to subscribe to that forum or thread....and the message will change to reflect the status. Seems a strange way of controlling it....but it works!
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Postby DavidTheMad » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:28 pm

dkightley wrote:Good question, Mike!

I'm not really sure what is happening.... There's a core of half a dozen users who log in on a daily basis....and there another half dozen or so who log in less frequently.....and none appear to have anything to say!

And this apparent lack of interest MUST be putting of any new members from joining....as they see the forum...and probably think "There's virtually no interest because there's virtually no posts."....and they go away disillusioned!

There's also the Talking T Gauge Facebook page....which has around a dozen occasional posters....and virtually none get to know about the forum here because it's only really mentioned when I make the occasional speculative comment. And I'm not really a fan of Facebook....its too "now" and seems to only cater for chit-chat that has a life expectancy of a day or so!

There could be one answer that we don't really want to think about....and that is T gauge is losing popularity and there are fewer and fewer railway modellers interested.....for one simple reason - a lack of ready-to-run rolling stock and track.

I suppose I am one of those who log in and don't write anything, not because I don't have anything to say, or news to give, but I have medical conditions, like some others here, that hit me for considerable lengths of time. I am currently working on my rolling stock, have a great variety of stock now, steam through to diesel, passenger to freight, civilian to military. I have also discovered a maker of 1/450 boats that are streets ahead of anything that Eishindo have produced and, using Eduard etch kits, am super detailing them. I don't think that T is losing its interest base, nor are too many people becoming discouraged by lack of posts. However I do think our prices are creeping up a bit too much. If any of you have seen that lovely picture of the freight yard that T-Gauge.com put up on their Facebook page well, true to form, for me, I costed it. Ignoring the track, the buildings and the scenery, just the wagons in the picture came to a total of £615.00! Lot of money there!! I have also proved a point over the isolator tracks in the Eishindo range. I replaced one of the cut rails with a full length one, and have just one switch to isolate each siding at the points. Saved some money there!!

Cheers for now.
DavidTheMad

Previous

Return to T Gauge General Discussions