Board index Talking T Gauge Forum T Gauge General Discussions

The place for general discussions and requests for help on all matters relating to T gauge.

Where has everybody gone?

Postby Nutter » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:17 pm

The forum seems very quite of late, as per my previous post
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=520
It seems to be just a very small minority of members posting, :(
Mike
DON'T knock it at least I am trying to do something, with only one good hand.
Nutter

Re: Where has everybody gone?

Postby Nutter » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:36 pm

:oops: :oops: post duplicated.

Mod edit......duplicate post removed.
Mike
Nutter

Postby dkightley » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:27 am

Good question, Mike!

I'm not really sure what is happening.... There's a core of half a dozen users who log in on a daily basis....and there another half dozen or so who log in less frequently.....and none appear to have anything to say!

And this apparent lack of interest MUST be putting of any new members from joining....as they see the forum...and probably think "There's virtually no interest because there's virtually no posts."....and they go away disillusioned!

There's also the Talking T Gauge Facebook page....which has around a dozen occasional posters....and virtually none get to know about the forum here because it's only really mentioned when I make the occasional speculative comment. And I'm not really a fan of Facebook....its too "now" and seems to only cater for chit-chat that has a life expectancy of a day or so!

There could be one answer that we don't really want to think about....and that is T gauge is losing popularity and there are fewer and fewer railway modellers interested.....for one simple reason - a lack of ready-to-run rolling stock and track.
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
dkightley

Postby msimister » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:44 am

I log in most days and sometimes post a comment but I'm wary of posting something that doesn't say much of interest to anyone. Perhaps that's why I hate Facebook.

A few weeks ago I made what I thought was a slightly controversial comment (deliberately) to get a conversation going and no one said anything (apart from Doug, of course)! I do look at others' posts and admire their work and sometimes say so. As for my own modelling, I've done none for a couple of months as I've been busy with work and being a guard/signalman on Puffing Billy (busy season around now) but hoping to get back to it before long, when I will happily show the forum what I've done.

I really hope that T gauge doesn't die as it offers so many possibilities.

Best regards to all,
Malcolm
msimister

Postby Nutter » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:31 am

Malcolm, I can understand your situation- the time difference and the fact it is your summer :mrgreen: at present does not work in your favour.
Have you been suffering the extreme heat that the news reported?
Doug, Like you I will not go on Facebook for the reason that it seems just idle chit chat of the current 24 hrs max.
All the people who have seen the Bridge in person with favourable comments does not seem to have generated more physical interest.
I notice we have several new members and a steady flow of guests reading posts but that is it.
Those people who are aware of my situation will understand my feelings - if I can do it so can others.
Mike
Nutter

Postby msimister » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:11 am

Yeah, it's been hot in Melbourne. Melted on PB last Friday when we had to run diesels instead of steam because of the fire risk. Bit cooler now until next weekend when 39 degrees Celsius is forecast again. I don't like modelling in the heat either - sweaty fingers don't work for me.
msimister

Postby NeilM » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:18 am

For me it has been down to time, or at least lack of it...

I have been working longer hours recently which leaves me less time for either creating 3d models, or getting stuck in and doing any actual modelling.

Add to that the reduced desire to set up do any modelling when it is cold where I will be working - but the rest of the house is much warmer - and the fact is I have not got much done, so therefore not really anything to report or show.

I still do plan to move things along. I have made a start on a layout which now has the track laid (just an oval with a few extra curves to break up the straight lines, no points). I also have some 3d models partly designed plus some printed models to paint - rolling stock and buildings. I also now have the electronics to complete my pwm controller that I have already coded up to run on an Arduino, but which currently just flashes lights rather than running trains.
Neil

T gauge items in my Shapeways shop http://www.shapeways.com/shops/t450
NeilM

Postby gbtrains » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:03 pm

Hi all
sorry not online as regular

busy with life.

ps working in the same gauge but different things to try and get sizes of real gauge into t Gauge.
so hence on the 3d drwing and 3d printer,but will post something shortly.

regards
Graham
gbtrains

Postby Nutter » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:54 pm

Thanks Graham,Malcolm and Neil appreciate that real life can get in the way, but we know you are still alive and kicking now :D
Mike
Nutter

Postby mattd10 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:02 pm

I try and log in as much as possible and post the odd reply here and there but my actual progress with modelling has stalled somewhat. I think the lack of RTR does have an impact because I don't want to invest in stock that I don't really want to run. The expensive nature of shapeways and the long waits for orders also doesn't help keeping the motivation up!
I've got plans in the pipeline but I'm not sure when I'll get things started.
mattd10

Next

Return to T Gauge General Discussions